Chapter 42

Lisa had appeared before him like the answer to a prayer.  In his dance, human thought and wishes, as always, had been left behind as he expressed himself in a purely emotional, universal language.   To move after all cognitive processes stopped had always been a way to ask and to receive as he seemed to be able to somehow partake into some the mysteries of universal forces.  Then, to open his eyes and see the answer to everything he had not even known he had asked for presented to him in one, beautiful, yet slightly messed up, shaking package, had stunned him.  The question if she was real was answered once he had his arms around her.

  The question if she was real was answered once he had his arms around her

She clung to him, crying, after just having asked him to not leave her.  This woman continued to be a walking contradiction.  He had no intention of leaving her- never had.  If anything, she had been the one pushing him away in a million different ways.  Well, no more.  Their lives would be connected from now until eternity.  He pulled her even closer, kissing her head and gently massaging her back.

“Lise, can you tell me what has you freaked out like this? Is there anything I can do?”

At first, he thought she was crying harder, but then he noticed she was laughing.  It was hard to keep up with her.

“What has me freaking out?  I am pregnant with my ex-husband’s child.  The very same ex-husband who is about to have baby number two with his surrogate, stalker nurse.  But no, other than that I have nothing freaking me out.”

Well, she must be feeling better, given the fact her sarcasm has returned with full force.  He grabbed her by the shoulders and backed her away, scanning her face, trying to find answers to the mystery she was to him in her face.  He realized the laughter had never reached her eyes.   She looked confused and shell-shocked and all the sarcasm in her voice could not cover those emotions.

“Lise, drop it.  I’m scared, too, you know.  I know this is a mess, but for some reason I can’t be too upset about it.  Maybe this is the wake-up call we need to get our act together  All I want right now, is to divorce Debbie and marry you, but…”

“You don’t have to worry about giving me reasons why that is not possible.  I never said I wanted to marry you. I just said I was scared…not desperate.”

Michael looked at her, and realized she had a small smile on her lips.  Cheeky, little woman.  She could be so exasperating, and yet he was absolutely crazy about her.  The hard armor around his heart was splitting more from yet another crack.

“No, you are never desperate, princess.  You are fierce.”

The smile broadened as did the sense of accomplishment rushing through him.   Lisa lowered her gaze, her hair partially obstructing her face now.