Chapter Twenty Three

Chapter Twenty Three- Best friends

It's the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter the most.

"Yo?"

"Kiri, do you think-"

"Want me to come over? I can bring cookies!"

"You're an idiot, you know that?"

"So cookies it is."

"Don't forget the ice cream or I will disown you."

"No problem, bro, I'd disown me too. Ice cream or you lock me out for good and take back the friendship bracelet."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Kirishima would be lying if he said he didn't have questions, millions of questions that bubbled up his throat only to be stifled when he lightly bit his tongue. He had to be so careful, physically and emotionally seeing as his teeth almost caused him to bleed with every oncoming question he held back.

He looked at the road, seeing Katsuki twitching in the corner of his eye. The blonde wasn't mad or angry, he was nervous. So nervous his hands shook as he changed quickly, not caring about safety as the seatbelt lay discarded in its place beside him instead of buckled in. Katsuki twisted around, grabbing clothes from the back of Eijiro's car.

The red head kept extra clothes in his car, as if anticipating any type of outfit change to occur. Whether it be from a villain attack he didn't anticipate, a quirk mishap or simply diving into the lake with his clothes while with the Bakusquad and having to change later. Either way, whatever the reason, he always had extra clothes on hand so he didn't mind when Bakugou borrowed a pair of jeans and a sweater.

Kirishima kept his eyes on the road, teasing now and then to ease the tension but otherwise keeping his mouth shut. Trying his very hardest not to ask why he was changing to walk into a prison, as if it mattered if he wore his uniform or not.

"You're as bad as Deku, Shitty hair." He murmured, tugging the red hood over his head while looking out the window.

The trees whipped by them, blurring into each other gently along with the sky. The afternoon sun lay in the clouds lazily, half covered causing a faint shadow to fall over the scene. It was fall, the trees turning from green to red or a bright orange and a few splashes of yellow. It was beautiful, the autumn feeling itself was liberating and it eased some of Katsuki's nerves. The shadow cast over this part of the world was similar to how he felt but he wondered who the cloud was in his mind. Izuku was obviously the sun in such a scenario.

Not everything is about you- He thought to himself, catching his mistake. - Or Izuku.

"Explain." He prompted when the male didn't continue, checking the gps in the console to make sure he was going the right way. He didn't bother to ponder on the texts he received, nor did he try to call and explain to Aizawa why they had left so urgently because not only did he not know but he also didn't want to go blathering excuses. They needed to be somewhere quickly, they should all understand that and respect it. He could deal with their teacher when the time comes at the moment all his attention was here.

"You act like you have to be a knight in shining armor, you always want to do the best for your friends and for some fucking reason you follow me." He didn't look back at the redheads questioning gaze and just focused on the scenery as he continued. "You act like you don't do enough when you do the most and, in all honesty, you both suck at keeping shit to yourself."

The last part was signaled to Kirishima's obvious want to ask questions in the current moment.

"I'll never be like Midoriya." Kirishima laughed, though the sentiment was true. He really would never be like Izuku, he could never be as close to Katsuki as Izuku was and he would never understand Bakugou the same. Midoriya just had something in him that understood the blonde far better than anyone else ever could, they related on a different level than most.

"And he thinks he could never be you." Bakugou followed soon after, kicking the bag at his feet and settling further into the leather chairs. It would be a long ride to the prison, might as well get comfortable.

The pontiac trans am was a rust bucket but Kirishima loved it so dearly, treated it like his child. He touched it up and even tinkered on it- or, much rather, Todoroki and Jiro tinkered on the engine to keep it running since they knew mechanics and he didn't. The red exterior was spotless, the eagle logo in black on its hood. It was an old car but it was a beautiful one, despite it coughing up gas whenever being driven. Kirishima constantly smelled of gas when coming to school but it was a musky scent, it wasn't disgusting but then again it was an acquired taste. Katsuki didn't mind it, being explosive meant a lot of fire smelling things which included gasoline.

"Well that's stupid." Eijiro blurted out before frantically trying to cover up the mishap. "Not stupid, sorry, I mean like- Okay, yes stupid because he understands you better? I mean, it just doesn't make sense man. I get that you two aren't publicly all touchy feely but you're closer than anyone else."

Katsuki hummed, mind catching mere fragments of the radio that filled the silence between them softly. "You made friends with me easier than he has."

Kirishima snorted, a chuckle bubbling it's way up from his chest as he swerved in and out of the highway lanes. The streets were bare, everyone either at work or school and filled with merely a few stragglers and people on their lunch break. "That's because you two are more than friends."

Katsuki shot him a glare, scowling. "No."

"Oh come on, bro, you can't like someone like that and expect to be friends. I blame it on the tension you two have." He looked off the road for a split second to give the other a look as well, raising his brow in question. "Maybe in first or second year you two could have been friends, hell maybe you could have been each other's wingmen or something but something changed. The vibe changed between you two."

And maybe that was true but Katsuki didn't know what started it, what had started the change between them? Something had caused the spark to burn, charging like electricity and fire.

Kirishima didn't need him to answer, he merely smiled and pulled off of the highway and up the winding roads that lead to their location. He reached over to pat the blonde's head, laughing further when he swatted his hand playfully. Their friendship was a good one and Bakugou's nerves had stopped halfway through the hour-long drive, unaware of how fast time flies when he was with the red head.

"Thank you, Shitty hair." He said under his breath and Kirishima grinned.

"You're my best friend, man, it comes with the job description."