Chapter 44: Oh, heave the oceans too, won't you?

I woke up early, 4 am to be precise. I had an early morning shift today. I rolled over and placed a kiss on Clay's cheek, and got up. I had a surprisingly high amount of energy. I mean I was excited, so it made sense.

I got ready in my uniform and pulled my hair back in a tight ponytail and put on some light mascara. I headed downstairs, being careful not to wake the birthday boy.

I grabbed the keys to Clay's car and headed out to the grocery store. As soon as I walked in, I grabbed everything I would need for a cake and then headed out to work.

After a short car ride, I arrived at the familiar comforts of the Panama Grind Coffee and was greeted by Fen who had work the whole day today.

We cleaned down the counters and placed down the chairs, and before an hour went by the Panama Grind was finally open. We took orders from regulars, but on Thursdays, it was lighter than normal. My favorite regulars came in a dad and his 6-year-old girl. Every other Thursday he got her a hot chocolate before school, and they had been doing it since I had started working here two years ago. It was really adorable.

After the last of the morning rush came through I finally acquired the help I needed from Fen.

"Hey, Fen!" I said leaning on the counter where they were facing. "Do you wanna help me with something?"

"Oh god." They rolled their eyes with a playful tone. "What do you want."

"Wellll..." I said "It's Clay's birthday today, and I want to make him a cake and I was hoping you would help me? I saw the cake you made for your little brother last year, You're really good at decorating."

"We're working right now Y/N." Fen rolled their eyes.

"Come on please!" I said. "It's Thursday, no one is ever here, come on please!"

"There's nothing on the line for me," Fen said, clearly bargaining even though I already knew they were going to say yes.

"I'll clean the espresso machine? How about that?" I said, rolling my eyes. She turned her eyes away. "And the fucking frother? Deal!"

"Deal," Fen said with a grin.

°•*⁀➷

"Oh my goodness!" I squealed! "Fen it looks so good! Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome." They grinned. "It does look a lot better than I thought it would."

I glanced down at the cake in front of us decorated to look like an ender pearl with the happy birthday written on it in white. It turned out really well, it obviously wasn't a professional cake, but it was pretty dang good for two amateurs. I was impressed with it. I grabbed a box to transport the cake in.

"Okay thank you so much Fen!!!" I exclaimed while clocking out. "I'll do all the cleaning tomorrow I promise!" I said rushing out of the door, trying to be as careful as possible not to damage the cake. I got into the car and strapped in the cake and drove home.

I checked my phone. I had told Clay last night that I was working until late so I could surprise him. The notification for his twitch stream had gone out twenty minutes ago. It was one of his first face cam streams, and I knew he was nervous.

But it also meant I had plenty of time to set up my surprise.

I had the cake, obviously, but I had planned dinner, and I had got him a gift that I was really excited about. George and Sapnap both knew about my plan and agreed to keep him busy until I was done.