The Soldat and the Girl pt. 6 ☆

I say nervously behind him, my nails chewed so short they hurt.

Hes shaking in his chair, he doesnt think he won. He blames himself, nothing could convince him that it wasnt his fault.

"The jury has conversed for many days on this case, it was difficult. We found that the question was not whether or not the crimes were commited by James Barnes, but rather are the Winter Soldier and the person in the courtroom today one and the same"

I gripped Natashas hand, hoping hed just tell us. Biting my lips so hard that I think Im going to draw blood.

"The jury reached this verdict and I know this is a controversial issue, but Im glad they stayed true to the case, we made sure the whole time that no one on either side could rig the case"

"Itll be fine no matter what, well figure it out"

"The verdict is... not guilty"

~ ~ ~

I met him as soon as he got out, not touching him at first but just knowing that it's finally over. I froze when I saw him, I didn't even mean too but everything that I said in court and everything over these past five decades together came together, making me pause.

He walked to me, stopping when he reached me. Ignoring Steve's call to him. I just looked up at him, my breath caught in my throat despite the oxygen in my nose.

His fingertips just grazed my arms, and I dipped my head down. He kissed the top of my head, asking after quietly "Are you okay?"

I looked, wrapping my hand around his neck and pulling him down to meet me. We kissed, his hand caressing my cheek, pulling me ever so closer. It was a simple reassuring kiss, as if to communicate, never again. Never again will we be apart for that long.

I pulled away, lightly tapping his chest, murmuring "Idiot, going and getting yourself arrested like that"

"I didn't strip on national T.V." he retorts, I can feel the laugh in his torso.

"Let's go home," I pulled his wrist, grabbing my oxygen tank.

"Home?"

"The Avengers, help set me up with a place while we prepared and during the trial"

"Wait, I was... I meant to give you this once you recovered, but then. You know what just take it"

He held out a box, I grabbed it from his hands and opened it to find my Dad's jacket. I don't know how, but he got it. He found it. Tge one thing I still have from my past. With the completely changed world.

I jumped into a hug, tightly squeezing him. Almost crying. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close.

"Thank you"

"I love you"

"I love you, let's go home. We're done. It's time to rest"