Chapter 6 - I Wont Have This

Once he moved his hand I went boneless, sinking to the ground. Winter huffed as his hand slipped behind my back and held me up. He dragged me between the building and a dumpster where we could hide, quickly setting me down and pulling my jacket off.

"You werent supposed to get hurt. Damn it. Damn it. Damn it. Fuck."

"Im fine." I reiterated as he finally pulled my shirt up just enough to see the gnarly wound in my tummy.

"Dont look at it." He warned, pulling at the pack on his hip in a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding. I listened and instead let my head fall back on the ground and my eyes look to the sky.

Hes never been in such a state, at least not that Ive seen. I can even feel his hands shaking. "Ive never seen outside before." I hoped to distract him just enough so his heart wont jump out of his throat.

"W-What?" Winter stammered, packing in my wound. It hurt, much more than I ever imagined something like this would, but I had to hide it.

"I said, Ive never seen outside before."

He let out what I think mightve been a loose laugh, "Well this isnt one of the best views.... shit."

"One of the widows, she told me about outside. She told me about somewhere called Odessa. And another place called- fuck!"

"Sorry. Sorry. Im so fucking sorry."

"S-Soldat- aggh!"

"Keep talking. Okay. Do you- um- shit- you remember being a widow. Mustve hit your head really hard."

"Yeah. My friend, she is older than me and could go out on missions. We- aaagh- we would talk in secret about the stars. It was a dream of mine to see it someday. "

He went silent, pulling my back of the ground for a second, every once in a while his fingertips hitting my skin. "If I say something... do you promise not to tell them?"

Winter finished and came over so he could look at my face, "What?"

"You have to promise."

"I promise."

I felt tears welling, but didnt want to let them fall. Winter waited patiently, until I could ask, "Do you want to do this? Missions? Training? All of it?"

His eyes trailed away, like he was ashamed, "No. But they made me a weapon and I dont have any choice."

"Soldat?"

He hummed.

"Can you hold me? Just for the night?" My voice broke. I dont have a choice either and I didnt even realize it. Im stuck. Again. Only allowed to see the future I dreamed of from a distance.

Metal pulled me up and into the crook of his shoulder, my knees bending so my feet rest right outside his thigh, my head lay in his neck. "Im sorry." I whisper.

"Why?"

"That one day... we wont remember this."

~ ~ ~

Handler expressed his dissapointment and didnt hold back. At first, Soldat defended me, but its been long since the mask was put on and I still am being berated.

"Seriously, Summer. Ive sacrificed so much to see you suceed and you failed. I thought you were strong, but you are so weak."

I shook my head, not daring to audibly disagree with him. He slapped me, and I stood there and took it. Past the ringing in my ears I could hear Winter stepping forward, and instantly I stopped him, stepping between him and handler.

He looked down at me as I defended the same person whos telling me what a failure I am. Winter is angry, and anger makes mistakes.

"Come here, Summer."

My feet dragged as I obeyed. Handler grabbed me by the hair, shaking me around a little as I let out an accidental whimper. "Look at her Winter."

Winter stared past me at handler with such anger. "She was your responsibility. So not only has she failed..." My knees gave out as he dug his fingers into my healing wound, "So did you."

I wanted to scream, but I kept it in, and instead I clenched my fists. Winter stepped forward, and I almost thought he was going to hit handler. But instead his eyes went desperate and he got on his knees.

Winter was on his knees in a silent plea.

I wont have this. My head shoved back and handler finally let go of me as he stumbled back with a hand over his nose. I was quick to pin him to the ground and started hitting.

When I finished my hands were bloody up to my elbows and handler was dead. I killed him. I had the choice to kill and I practically smashed his skull in.

I felt a syringe press into my back and then another and then another. My body fell limp in a pool of my kill's blood.