Chapter 3 - Inviting

You guys are amazing for sticking with me.
Vote if you want. I love you.

This tiny room is suffocating and that man wasn't wrong, my stomach is gargling at me. I've banged on the door enough to know that it isn't coming down.

My hands are scraped and bruised as they sit on top of my knees. I refuse to let my eyes leave the small window in the door in the hopes someone will walk by or come to let me out.

They won't. If Natasha won't, no one will. Not even Dreykov is coming.

As morning came more people walked by like I wasn't there. I got up from the bed, to start again at my attempts to get out. If I can pick at the lock and get it open I might be able to figure a way to the outside.

I sat on the floor, and picked away at the door. Listening to the conversations of people who passed by. Some about the weather, many about lunch, and some about the various fights or orders or something. My german isn't perfect.

As I was getting closer to successfully picking this lock I heard two men walking, and they were talking about me. They said I'm an asset, a change to the whole.... operation? agency? They said it will take time, time they don't have. Then their footsteps stopped right in front of my door. I rushed to get back, scrambling across the room.

The door opened and the first thing they looked at was my attempt at the lock, then me. It was a demeaning stare, and I hated it.

"Get up."

I saw the men behind them. I could've sworn I'd only heard two men in the hallway, but there were three including the one speaking. One with a large mask over his face and blue eyes that looked like they could see the smallest spec of dust. The other with a long face and a patch on his arm of some kind of weird octopus.

"Do I need to ask again?"

"Where are we going?"

The blue eyes looked at the man with a new sense, something I'd very soon come to know as fear.

"Dinner and then training."

After another second of thought I gave in, standing up and walking behind them. Now I know why I only heard two, this ones steps are silent.

They brought me to a large room filled with people who all had that same symbol on their shoulders. In my tanktop and shorts and my bare feet on the floor, I was out of place. Maybe that was the point.

I sat down at the table with and two of them sat on either side of me while the only one who has spoken thus far went and got dinner.

Almost everywhere there was looking at me and it didn't take long to figure out why. All my life, I had the girls. Everyone but the guards and Dreykov were girls, widows. I'm surrounded by men.

"Here. Eat up." He set the bowl down in front of me, and one for the man to my right, but not for the masked man. I did as he said, eating the soup by the spoonful, but stopping halfway.

"Finish. Then we talk."

"But what about him?" I looked to myside to find he was already looking at me. I pushed my bowl over in front of him and watched as he looked st it and then back at the man.

"He will eat later. He doesn't need your concern." He seemed disgusted by my comment, but I was hungry so I took the bowl back and finished what they gave me, wiping the corners of my mouth with my thumb.

I sat there for a minute while they all just looked at me. Then the man stood up, "Time for training."

"With the widows?"