Chapter Seventeen

"Is it a crime to see my sister?" Caleb said

"You are avoiding my question."

"I heard about Christina."

"How did you know that?"

"The screens."

"Right"

'I just wanted to say I'm sorry."

"I have work to do."

"I'll stop by later then."

I walked back to the training room. Tobias was still standing infront of the fighting platform. I walked over beside him.

"What was that about?" Tobias asked

"Caleb wanted to share his sympathy." I said

"Ah."

We watched the initiates fight each other. Lauren and I agreed to have the top initiate fight me. I wanted to see their strategies. Most of them go straight for the stomach or the leg. I could easily beat them. At the end of their fighting, Lauren put up the leaderboard. A kid named Mat was first.

"Mat! In the ring!' Tobias said

A tall, thin kid stepped up onto the platform. Every initiate was looking at Tobias. Lauren stepped infront of the initiates.

"Let's see how good you really are Mat." Lauren said

I stepped out of the shadows and into the ring. Mat looked stunned.

"I can't fight her." Mat said

"Are you scared to fight a girl?" I said

"No."

I punched him in the gut. He kelled over. Mat got up quickly. He aimed a punch at my arm. I grabbed his fist and he pulled away. I stood in my stance. Mat threw a punch aimed at me throat. I grabbed his fist again. He pulled away and punched me in the jaw. Very weak punch. I grabbed his arm and kicked punched him in the stomach. He fell to the ground. I walked over to Tobias.

"How is he?" Tobias asked

"Weak. Very weak." I said

"Let's see how he does in simulations" Tobias whispered

"Get out pansycakes." Lauren said

***************

Tobias and I walked home together. When we got home, Caleb was sitting on our couch.

"What are you doing?" Tobias said as he picked him up by his collar

"I was waiting for you to get home. You don't have locks." Caleb said

"No wonder why Tris hates you. You have no sense at all." Tobias said releasing Caleb

"Get out of my house you traitor." I said

Caleb walked out of the house without protesting. I went outside and sat on the steps. Tobias sat next to me. He wrapped his arms around me. We sat there until sundown. We walked inside. I took off my jacket and hung it on the rack. There was a tingling in my arm. I looked down to investigate. Blood. Bullethole.

"Tobias." I said with panick in my voice

He came rushing out of the bathroom. He looked at my arm.

"I'll get the bandages. Try to get the bleeding to stop." Tobias said

He ran down the stairs. I went to the bathroom and grabbed a washcloth. I pressed down on my wound with the cloth. Tobias came back up the stairs with a roll of bandages. We had gotten more from Matthew. I took the washcloth of my wound so Tobias could wrap it.

"You didn't tell me you got shot. I thought we weren't keeping secrets anymore." Tobias said as he wrapped my arm

"I didn't know I got shot until I took my jacket off. I'm not keeping anything from you." I said

He finished wrapping my arm. We sat in silence for a few minutes. I should tell him about Eric.

"I know who attacked Christina. I confronted him today." I said

"Eric?" Tobias said

"Peter's son." I said

"You confronted him?' He asked

"Yea. I held him dangling from the collar of his jacket. He got pretty scared. He claimed he didn't know she was dead." I replied

A tear rolled down my cheeck. Tobias put his hands on my cheecks. I put my hands on his and leaned into him. After a while, we decided to get some rest. He wrapped his arms around me and we fell asleep.

*************

It was really early when I woke. I looked at my clock. 5 am. Tobias wasn't sleeping. I slipped out of bed and grabbed my jacket. I pulled my hair back into a ponytail. I went downstairs to find Tobias leaing over something. Something like a book. I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his waist.

"Morning Tris." Tobias said

"What are you reading?" I asked

He showed me the serum book that was in Christina's room. It has several more bookmarks in it. What had she been doing?

"She marked all the serums that cause fear or pain to the person under it or to others. Like the fear serum, simulation serum, and truth serum." he said

How much did we really know about our daughter?

"She also wrote alot in her notebook. On the second page, she wrote about how she was going to combine all bad serums and inject the combination into Dauntless leadership. She writes 'I am tired of having to go to school or deal with the cocky Dauntless kids. They will pay by Dauntless leadership dying.'"

She wanted to kill Tobias. Her own father. Tears welled up in my eyes. Tobias closed the notebook and the book. I felt my knees buckle. Eric was trying to teach her something. He was trying to get her to change her mind. Tobias lifted me up of the ground and put me on the couch. He sat next to me. I curled up next to him, crying. When I finally stopped crying, we got up off the couch and headed for the compound. Tobias went off to the training room. I didn't really know where I was going. When I walkd by the Pit, I saw a boy standing in the middle of the room. I jumped down.

"What do you want? To scare me again?" Eric said

"No. I just wanted to talk." I said

"About what?"

"Did you ever hear Christina talk at school? At all?"

"Everyone heard her talk. She never stopped. Christina always droned on and on and on about Jenine Matthews and Erudite and how they were so cool."

"Did she say anything else?'

"Oh and something about horribe Dauntless leadership. She got dentention once for shouting 'Death to Dauntless leaders!' in the hallway."

"Why did you beat her up?"

"To show her that Dauntless could overpower her. To get the idea out of her head. She seemed set on killing the guy leader. What's his name?"

"Thank you Eric." I said walking away