Chapter Twenty Nine

Tobias said that to me during initiation. No I can't die! I struggled against the ropes. Tears streamed down my face. There was talking outside the door. Drew turned the safety off. I screamed. Emily came through the door.

"Drew! What are you doing?" Emily said

"Stay out of this Emily!" Drew said

"Drew. You can't tie someone up to a bed for three weeks and then kill them!" Emily yelled

Three weeks? Tobias. I screamed into the choke. Emily pulled it out of my mouth.

"Emily!" I said

"It's okay Tris." Emily said

"How do you know her?" Drew said

"Shut up and drop the gun." Emily said

She took the knife out of his pocket. She cut me free from the ropes. Drew looked at me then shot twice. Once in my arm and another in my abdomen. Emily helped me off the floor.

"Drew. Get out!" Emily yelled

Emily helped me out of the room.

"Joanna!" Emily called

Joanna came toward me. She looked at me.

"Tris, you don't know how many Dauntless I had show up here in the past three weeks." Joanna said

"I need to go home. I can't leave four alone any longer." I said

Joanna smiled at me. I ran out of the compound. It was nice to feel the wind in my hair again. I ran towards Dauntless. I opened a door and went in. Zeke saw me and ran up to me.

"Tris! Oh my god what happened to you?" Zeke said

"Where's Four?" I asked

"In your old apartment. Be prepared for some really bad stuff." Zeke said

"Come with me." I said

Zeke followed me to my old apartment. I opened the door. Something hit the wall. A chair. Tobias was kneeling down on the floor. A tear rolled down my cheek. The floor was covered in broken wood.

"Man, what have you done?" Zeke said

I walked out of the apartment and stood outside the door.

"She's still gone isn't she? She's probably dead by now." Tobias said

"She isn't dead Four! Snap out of it!" Zeke said

"HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY KNOW IF SHE IS DEAD? YOU DONT KNOW HER LIKE I DO!" Tobias yelled

I couldn't take it anymore. I burst through the apartment door.

"STOP IT BOTH OF YOU!" I yelled

Tobias looked at me. Zeke hung his head. Tears streamed down my face. I ran out of the room. I ran to the roof of the compound. I sat on the gravel. I could hear Zeke and Tobias calling for me. I stood on the edge of the roof. I stepped back to the other end. I ran to the other end and jumped. I saw Zeke ad Tobias yelling at me. I landed on the opposite roof. I almost missed the edge and flew face first into the gravel.

I rolled over. The rocks were turning red. Blood. I screamed.

"Tris!" Tobias yelled

I ran to the stairwell. I kept running until I got out of the building. Tobias was standing at the entrance. I looked at him. His eyes were bloodshot. He had cuts on his hands. I slowly walked toward him.

"What did you do?" I asked picking up his hands.

He wrapped his arms around me. Pain went through my arm and my abdomen. He loosened his grip and looked at me.

"What did they do to you?" Tobias asked

"One shot in the arm, one here." I said pointing to the bullet wounds "He tied me to a bed."

Tobias pulled me into a gentle hug. We walked back to Dauntless. He took me back to my apartment. There was broken wood everywhere. I covered my mouth with my hand. My knees buckled under me. I kneeled on the floor. Tobias put his hands on my shoulders. I stood up. I felt something trickling down my arm. I looked down. Blood. I looked at the wall. Blood. I backed up with my hands covering my mouth.

"Tris?" Tobias said

He saw my face. He pulled me into his arms. Tobias helped me clean the wounds. He wrapped them in bandages. Then I got up and looked around the room. In the corner there was writing.

Tris is dead. Tris is dead. Tris is dead. Tris is dead. Tris is dead. Tris is dead.

"What are you looking a Tris?" Tobias said gently

I kept reading.

I will be with her.

"Did you write this?" I asked

"Write what?" Tobias asked coming over to me

"Did you write this?" I asked again

"Tris, I-" I cut him off

"You won't loose me." I said

I fitted my lips to his. He wrapped his arms around my waist, careful not to touch the bullet wound. I wrapped my arms around his neck. He kissed harder. I backed up a little, hitting the wall. Tobias pulled me closer. I put my hands on his cheeks. He pulled away.

"I love you Tris." Tobias said

"I love you too Tobias." I said

We started to clean up the wood and the writing.