Chapter Eighteen

I walked to the training room where thr initiates were just coming in. Tobias stood on the fighting platform. I heard them whine about having to fight again. Pansycakes.

"Where have you been?" Tobias walked to me

"Pit. We need to talk later." I said

"Ok."

We walked onto the platform. The initiates piled in.

"The next stage is your worst nightmare. Literally." Lauren said

"In stage two, you have to face your worst fears and conquer them." I said

"How?" an initiate asked

"What is your name?" Tobias asked

"Laura." the initiate answered

"Well, Laura, I believe you are from Erudite, correct?" Tobias asked

"Yes."

"I think you can figure that one out." I said "Now since everyone knows that you are a Nose."

"Questions later." Lauren said "I believe I will hear the pansycake coming out of you all today."

We motioned the initiates toward the simulation room. I simulated the Dauntless borns and Tobias smulated the transfers as always. Hector was the first one to go through the simulation.

"Take a seat. You will be facing your-" I said

"Worst fears. Yea I got it." he said

"Candor." I said as I injected him with the fear serum

It took me about an hour to go through all the simulations. After I finished, I went to the training room and started on the punching bags. After about a half hour, Tobias came up behind me.

"Hey. You wanted to talk?" Tobias said

"Oh. Yea. Are you finished with all your work?" I said

"Yea."

We walked back to the house. When we got there, Tobias and I sat down on the couch.

"I talked to Eric. He said she kept saying she wanted to kill you. I just don't understand why she would want to do that." I started to cry

Tobias wrapped my up in his arms.

"If we read her notebook we could probably get some answers." Tobias said

I got up and grabbed the notebook. I sat back down next to Tobias. I opened the notebook to the third page.

I hate Dauntless leadership. They are so cocky. They all think they run everything. My mother runs training I think. My father is just like grandpa. Even though I never met him. My father doesn't like me. I just wish both of my parents were dead. But not until after I became Erudite. I will kill my father with the combination serum I will make. I will make him suffer. As far as my mother, I'll kill her with my own hand and be like Jenine Matthews.

I closed the notebook and threw it on the table. I could take it anymore. I ran upstairs. I slipped out of my jacket and hung it on the rack in our room. I went to Christina's room. I searched for anything that could kill someone. Zeke had dropped off her backpack earlier. I searched everywhere. Tobias walked in when I found something.

"What are you holding?" Tobias asked

I couldn't speak. It felt like there was a lump in my throat. I turned toward Tobias.

"Oh my god." Tobias said when he saw it

I couldn't believe what I was holding in my hand. It recognized it by the smell and color. I was holding a purple liquid. Death serum. I placed the serum on her desk and searched her backpack again. I found two more things. A syringe and a gun. I placed them on the desk. I backed out of the room. I grabbed my jacket off the rack. I couldn't control myself anymore. I ran out of the house.

"Tris! Tris!" Tobias was yelling

I kept running with tears in my eyes. Everything was blurry. I ran to the Pit. I stood in the middle. Tobias came running to the ledge of the Pit.

"Tris! Behind you!" Tobias yelled

I looked back. That's when the gun went off and I fell to the floor.