Chapter Twenty Three

Several days later, Emily and I decided it was time for me to go home. Emily cut her finger with scissors and put the blood on my face,hands and pretty much every peice of skin that was showing. She ruffled my hair. I had lost a few pounds in the past few days.

"It's early enough. You should go now." Emily said

"Thank you for everything Emily." I said

I stood up and dressed in my Dauntless black. I planned on going to the Pit before anyone was up. I ran to Dauntless. When I got there, a few people were walking around. I stayed in the shadows. I dragged myself to the Pit. I laid down on the floor and waited for someone to come. I heard footsteps a while later.

"Tris!" Zeke said

I lifted my head weakly.

"Zeke. Help me." I said

"When did you get here? What happened to you?" he asked

He lifted me up and put one of my arms around his shoulders. He half dragged me to the infirmary. When we got to the infirmary, a nurse came over and took me from Zeke. He nodded at me. They dragged me to a bed.

After a few minutes, I told a nurse that I wanted to walk home. She let me. I climbed off the bed and walked out the door. I saw Zeke coming from the Pit.

"Tris. You're okay. Thank God. You need to go home. Now. No one has seen Tobias for days." Zeke said

A traitor tear rolled down my cheek. Zeke pulled me into an embrace and then let me go. I ran out of the building. I ran as fast as I could to our house. I opened the door. Tobias was sitting in a chair facing the wall.

"Tobias." I said weakly

He lifted his head

"Tris."

He turned around and I ran toward him. I jumped into his arms. I fitted my lips to his.

"Where were you?" Tobias said, a tear rolling down his cheek

"Someone kidnapped me." I said

Tobias studied my face.

"Blood. They hurt you?" he said

"They beat me. I tried to fight back but I couldn't"

I wrapped my arms around him. We walked upstairs to the bathroom. Tobias helped me clean the blood off my skin.

"Sorry about the window." I said

"We can get the initiates to fix it." he said

We laughed. We walked to the compound with our fingers laced. We walked to the dining hall. Zeke eyed us when we got there. He slid over so we could sit.

"Someone looks happier than the past several days." Zeke said nodding to Tobias

"What are you talking about?" I asked

"He thought you were dead and tried to kill himself four times."

Tobias elbowed Zeke in the rib.

"What?!" I said "This is exactly why-"

I couldn't finish my sentence. I ran out of the dining hall. I heard footsteps behind me. I ran faster. The footsteps stopped. This time, I knew where I was going. To Evelyn.

*********************

"Tris." Evelyn said

I started to cry. Evelyn motioned me in and closed the door behind me.

"What happened?" Evelyn asked

"I can't do this anymore Evelyn. Not after what he-" I said, sobbing

"After he did what?"

"He tried to kill himself Evelyn. I can't be around this much death anymore."

"Why don't you go upstairs to my room. You can cool off." Evelyn said

I walked up to Evelyn's room and grabbed some clothes out of her dresser. I put my hair back into a bun. Then I sat on her bed and craddled my knees to my chest. A few minutes later, there was a knock at the door. Tobias. I got up and closed the door. Then I sat back down and craddled my knees to my chest. I heard them talking but I couldn't hear what they were saying.

There were footsteps coming up the stairs. I moved to the corner of Evelyn's room that was hidden by the bed. The door opened.

"Tris. Are you in here?" Evelyn said " Tobias would like to speak to you."

"I can't" I whispered through my tears

"He's your husband. You have to talk to him."

"I said I can't" I whispered

"Tris. You're Dauntless." Evelyn said

I stood up out of the corner. Evelyn held out her hand. I grabbed it. We walked down the stairs. Tobias was standing in the middle of the room. He looked up at me.

"I will be at a meeting. I'll be back in about 30 minutes." Evelyn said as she left the house

"Tris, I'm-"

"What were you thinking? You know I couldn't handle it. You didn't think about the possiblities that I was alive. Oh and to tell the truth, I left! Yea! I jumped out the window and left the knife on the counter. I was in Amity. You know why? Because I couldn't take it anymore!" I yelled, my knees buckling beneath me.

"What?" Tobias said

"Yes! I left Tobias! Don't you get it?" I stood up and ran out of the house

I ran back to Dauntless. I found Zeke on the steps to our house.

"Tris! Where's Tobias? Why are you wearing-" Zeke said

A tear rolled down my cheek.

"He doesn't get it." I said

"You can stay in my apartment tonight if you want." Zeke said

"Thank you Zeke."

I hugged him. We walked side by side to his apartment.