Chapter Thirty Five

I filled the paintball gun and took two extra cans. I walked slowly. I found Tobias standing with Zeke and Shauna in the Pit. I stood in the shadows. I put the silencer on the gun. I shot my first paintball. It hit Tobias in the back.

"What the-" Tobias said

Zeke laughed.

"Is this your doing?" Tobias asked

"No!" Zeke said

I shot again. This time it hit Zeke in the face. Another shot. Tobias' face. I let out a laugh.

"Tris!" Tobias said

I ran from my hiding spot. Tobias ran close behind me. He grabbed my sweater and pulled me to him. I laughed. He fitted his lips to mine. I kissed him back. He pulled back laughing.

Zeke came up behind Tobias with a paintball gun. I pull out mine and shot Zeke in the face, again.

"Dang it!" Zeke said

I laughed. Tobias and I walked to the training room. I grabbed a paintball gun and extra cases of paintballs. We ran out of the training room. We went to a ledge above the Pit. Zeke came in waving this gun around.

"Come on! You're better than that!" Zeke yelled

Then Shauna came up behind him. He shot him in the back of the head and ran. Tobias and I came down from our spot. We returned the paintball guns. We walked to our apartment with our fingers laced together.

When we got to the apartment, I put the neck brace in on top of the dresser. Then there was a knock at the door. I looked at Tobias. He looked at me. We walked over to the door together. Tobias opened the door.

Tobias opened the door to the last person I wanted to see. Caleb.

"What do you want?" Tobias asked harshly

"I want to check on my sister! Is that a crime now?" Caleb said

"You don't need to watch over me like I'm five Caleb! I have someone to watch over me and its not you!" I yelled

I twisted the ring on my finger. Caleb looked down at my hand. He noticed the ring.

"Why didn't you tell me? I would've come!" Caleb said

"Maybe because she didn't want you there!" Tobias yelled "Now if you don't get out of Dauntless right now, I will make sure that you are arrested and killed."

Caleb hurried away.

"Thank you." I said

I went over to our bed and sat down. I twisted the ring on my finger again.

"You can take it off if you want Tris." Tobias said

He knew what was going through my head. But not what I wanted to ask.

"It's not that." I said

"What is it Tris? Remember, I'm here for you." Tobias said

"What does Candor want with Dauntless?" I asked

"They want us to make a deal with us. We won't agree because it is a deal that controls us and I don't think anyone in this compound wants to be controlled anymore." Tobias explained

My eyes started to get heavy. I laid down on the bed. Tobias laid facing me. He laced his fingers with mine. I smiled before I drifted off into sleep.

***********
I woke in a strange room. Marcus was standing there smiling.

"Where am I?" I asked

"Don't worry darling. Your mother is welcoming you!" Marcus said laughing "So is Tobias!"

**********
I opened my eyes. I was back in our apartment. Tobias was still sleeping. Sleeping means breathing. Good. I let out a sigh of relief. I climbed out of bed. I put on a sweater and pants. I went down to the Pit. I knew it was a bad idea, but I didn't realize it until someone came and attacked me. Caleb.

"Trying to kill me again are you?" I said

"No. Just operating on orders of Erudite." Caleb said

Erudite. Simulations. Tobias.

"I'm sorry Tris." Caleb said before knocking me out

I woke up in an Erudite room. Caleb was sitting on my bed. I scrabbled out of bed.

"Come on. I'm not gonna hurt you." Caleb said

"That's what you said last time." I said

"Follow me." Caleb said

He grabbed my arms and put then behind my back. Another Erudite came out and grabbed the other arm. He tied my hand behind me. When we got to the front of the compound, I saw Tobias talking to the Erudite leader.

"Where is she? I know you have her!" Tobias said

"Four!" I called

They dragged me. I dug my heels into the ground.

"Tris!" Tobias called back

I struggled against them. Tobias was held back by Erudite. Caleb pulled a syringe out of his pocket. He injected me with it in front of Tobias.

"Tris!" Tobias called

That's the last thing I heard.