Chapter Thirty Seven

When we got back to Dauntless, everyone was cheering. Tobias guided me to the Pit. Every one was gathered there.

"There she is!" Zeke said

The Dauntless cheered louder.

"What is this?" I asked

"This is you welcome home." Tobias said

Then the Dauntless started chanting something. I couldn't hear at first. Then I heard it.

"I am divergent and I can't be controlled!" the Dauntless chanted

I laughed. I looked at Tobias. He smiled.

"How do they know this?" I asked

"I kinda hacked into the Erudite security cameras and showed them." Zeke said

I laughed. One of the Dauntless yelled something.

"Lets see her power!" he shouted

"He wants to see you survive Tris." Zeke said

Then Shauna came out with a syringe. I smiled at her and accepted it. I handed the syringe to Tobias. He hesitated.

"It's okay." I said

"I don't want to be responsible." Tobias said

I grabbed the syringe out of his hand and injected it into my neck. I handed him the syringe. I fell to the ground. The Dauntless shouted louder.

"Quiet!" Zeke shouted

The Dauntless quieted.

I crumpled to the floor. I tried to stand up. Tobias tried to help me but Shauna held him back. I stood up then fell to the floor again.

"Get up!" a Dauntless shouted

For Tobias.

I tried to stand up again. This time, I caught myself before I hit the floor. I rose. I threw my hands in the air. The Dauntless screamed.

"You ready?" I yelled

"Yea!" they all replied

I ran back to the wall. I kissed Tobias on the cheek. Then I smiled. He looked at me. I laughed. I ran and jumped off the ledge. I sank deep into the crowd. They threw me in the air. They started to chant again.

"I am divergent and I can't be controlled!"

The Dauntless set me down on the ground. They formed in a circle around me. I looked up to the ledge. Tobias looked very scared.

"Once a Dauntless, always a Dauntless." I said to him

The Dauntless gathered behind me. I looked up a Tobias and back to the crowd. I smiled then started to run.

I ran out of the compound. The Dauntless started to scale buildings. I did the same. Once I reached the roof, I looked down. Tobias was staring at me. I laughed.

"Tris!" a voice said

I turned around to see Shauna.

"Zip line?" Shauna said

I smiled. I ran down the stairwell leading the Dauntless off the roof. We ran to the Hancock building. Tobias had finally caught up to me.

"You are crazy." he said

I just looked at him and laughed. We piled into two separate elevators. Shauna jabbed the button. Once all of us were on the roof, we started sending people down. After everyone had gone, it was just me, Tobias, Zeke and Shauna.

"Go Shauna." Zeke said

Shauna strapped herself in and pushed off the building. Then Zeke went.

"Tris. I can't do this." Tobias said

"Yes you can." I pulled out a double sling

I grabbed his hand. I slid in first and he came in after me. I strapped us in. I looked at Tobias then pushed off.

He clung to me. I looked at him. I fitted my lips to his. He stopped shaking. When we were getting close, I pulled the brake. He slipped out of the sling first. I followed.

"How did you get him to do it?" Zeke asked

"I have my ways." I said laughing

We walked back to Dauntless. When we got to the cafeteria, Tobias pulled me aside.

"Can I borrow you for a second?" Tobias whispered

I followed him. He took me into our apartment. When I opened the door, I saw Eric standing with a gun in his hand.

"Hello Four." Eric said

I stood in front of Tobias, ready to throw a punch.

"Letting your wife defend you now? Who knew you were such a coward?" Eric said

"Shut up. Don't talk to him." I yelled.

I put my hand on the gun that Tobias put in my waistband.

"I wouldn't do that." Eric said

"Do what?" I said

"Don't play dumb."

Tobias grabbed the gun and shot. Eric fell. I walked over. Eric got up and shot me in the leg. I fell.Tobias shot again. Eric moved to fast. He grabbed me and held me with a gun at my head.

"You won't do it." Tobias said

Eric shot me in the foot. I screamed out in pain. Then Eric pulled out a purple syringe.

"You wouldn't dare." Tobias said

Eric injected me with the serum. I crumpled to the floor laughing. Tobias started laughing too. He knew what was coming.

"What is so funny about your wife dying?" Eric said confused

I regained my strength. I pulled a knife out of my pocket.

Now!

I stood up and put the knife to Eric's throat.

"I am Divergent and I can't be controlled." I said

"You have some sort of resistance against it don't you?" Eric said

"Nope. Like I said, I'm Divergent." I said

"No Divergent can resist the death serum."

"Not a double aptitude Divergent but a triple aptitude Divergent can."

Tobias laughed.

"Sometimes I wonder why you chose to leave Erudite. Now I know its because your stupid." Tobias said

Eric just stood there. I reached behind me. Tobias placed the gun in my hand. I pulled the gun toward Eric and shot him in the chest.