Chapter 4 - What was I thinking

I didn't see Loki for another five weeks. Scott was pretty busy too, though we met up a few times in the café. Scott was friendly and open and he made it very clear where his interest was, but he wouldn't push things. I was grateful for it. I really enjoyed spending time with him, even if there was an ache every time I continued to deny the actual connection between us.

Even though Scott was always cautious to not say anything about his connection to the Avengers, he seemed to be unaware of the fact that Loki was another of my soulmates. And I said nothing about it either. I hoped that, considering the near disgust in his tone, Loki was planning to stay far away from me.

Unfortunately, I was wrong. I was crossing the quad when suddenly he was walking next to me. I flinched as I felt the loudness of his thoughts brush against mine.

"Fuck," I swore.

"Well now, don't be rude." I slid a look out of the side of my eye at him. He was wearing all black. Suit, shirt, tie. He looked handsome and just a little dangerous.

"Why the hell are you here?" I demanded, stopping to face him.

He lifted an elegant eyebrow, "Is that anyway to speak to your soulmate, pet?"

I rolled my eyes and turned away to keep walking. He immediately fell into step with me. I sighed heavily and again asked, "Why are you here? Can't you just leave me alone?"

"I've been considering you," was his response.

"Excuse me?"

"I've been considering why you can know your soulmates before coming into contact with them or coming near them."

"Ugh, I really don't care. I just want to live my life and be alone."

"Oh, so you don't spend any time with Lang then?" Loki inquired.

I rolled my eyes. "Well, seeing as we live across the hall from each other, it's kind of hard to avoid him."

Loki hummed, still keeping pace with me as I walked away from the university and towards my home. I expected him to say something, but he didn't. So, I did my best to ignore him, figuring he'd eventually get bored and go away.

Again, I was wrong. He kept with me all the way to the door. I sighed and turned towards him. "Will you leave me alone?"

He looked like he was considering things and then he asked, "Are you going to tell Lang about your powers?"

I felt my brows furrow. "I'm not planning on it."

"I figured."

I jabbed a finger into his chest. "You better not tell him about it, either."

The move must have completely shocked him because he just looked down at where my finger was with a look of complete bafflement before he recovered and wrapped one of his large hands around mine.

"I wasn't planning on it. But you have to know you can't just not have a relationship with your soulmates."

"Watch me." I spun around, let myself into the lobby, and stomped up the stairs.

I met Scott halfway up. "Hey, Lexi. Oh, hey is something wrong?"

Letting out a small huff, I centered myself, and plastered what I was sure was an unconvincing smile on my face. "Just a rough day at work. I won't keep you." I turned away again and headed up the last flights of stairs and let myself into my apartment.

I shut the door behind me, leaning my head back against it and closing my eyes. I just wanted peace and to be alone. Now look at what was happening.

********