Chapter 37 - Unwanted News

As July turned into a sweltering August, I found a new routine developing. I'd get woken up around or just after dawn to go for a run. Sometimes with Nat but most usually with Sam, Bucky and Steve or a combination depending on who was away on missions. All three of them were prior military, and while everyone participated in various types of training and working out, those three almost always ran in the mornings.

After running, I'd return to the tower to eat breakfast with whoever was around, then shower and head to work. I had started spending more nights at the tower and because of it I ended up choosing a vehicle without even meaning to, a powder blue Subaru WRX STI.

After work, I'd head back to the tower to train, eat dinner and often hang out. Once or twice a week I watched movies with Bucky, I was still working to catch him up on all the pop culture he missed out on. We were often joined by some of the others, but sometimes it ended up just being me and him. I was alternating who I was spending the night with. Though if both Clint and Loki were home and I was with one of them, usually the other joined.

On the weekends, I usually ended up spending a whole day in the lab with Bruce, and sometimes Tony and Peter. I had slowly replaced my things. I had clothes and other things stored at each of their places now. Technically my apartment had been repaired, the furniture replaced, a security system installed but I wasn't really spending a lot of time there.

Then Scott dropped a bombshell on me.

"I think I'm going to move into the tower."

We had been watching a movie in his apartment, my head in his lap while he played with my hair. Surprised, I pushed to sitting and looked at him, "What?"

He shifted a little and shrugged, "I think I want to move into the tower."

"Why?"

He ran a hand through his hair, "Because I think it makes the most sense logistically. I'm doing more missions as an Avenger than I'm doing much of anything else, and that looks like it's not stopping anytime soon."

I shook my head, "But I don't want to move into the tower."

Scott looked at me curiously, "Sweetheart, I'm not saying you have to move into the tower."

I started to feel a little panicky, "But if you move into the tower then I will–"

He reached out and brushed a hand over my shoulder, "Then you will still have your apartment across the hall."

My mouth dropped open then I closed it with a snap, "Oh. Yeah. Right."

Scott moved closer to me on the couch, wrapping his arm around me and pulling me into his lap, "Are you okay?"

I realized then that my breath was hitching and my eyes were wide. With an intense effort of will I pulled myself back in. Scott was rubbing his arms up and down my back as he studied my face. I leaned forward to rest my forehead against his finally able to say what had freaked me out so much, "I guess I'd gotten used to you being here across the hall. Of having your place as a retreat from the rest, the idea of you leaving freaked me."

He pulled me in for a long kiss before he pushed me back and said, "You still have your own apartment, Lexi. You want me to spend the night with you in there, I'll be there. And I imagine the other three feel the same way. You don't always need to spend the night at ours."

I nodded, "Of course. Right. Silly. So, when do you move in?"

"In a couple of days. Tony needed to arrange the right kind of transport for my buddies."

We both looked at the wall with the various ants, "How does Tony feel about them coming along? I got the impression he's not the fondest of pets."

Scott laughed, "Oh, we went a few rounds about it. But the fact is, they aren't exactly pets. They are teammates. I use them on missions regularly, so they live where I live."