Chapter 6 - A "Not-Date"

Scott was lounging back in his seat on the Quinjet that he, the twins, and Sam Wilson were returning to the tower in. The mission the four of them had been sent on was supposed to be relatively short and instead ended up being long, complex, and a little messy. He was texting with Lexi, firming up plans for their "not-date" when he felt eyes on him.

Sending another text to Lexi before he looked up, he found Sam staring at him with one of those smart ass smiles on his face. "What do you want, Sam?"

"Who are you texting, Tic Tac?"

Scott rolled his eyes at the nickname. It had stuck ever since their first meeting, back when Scott had broken into a storage compound owned by the Avengers in order to steal the Signal Decoy for Hank. Scott had fought against him, disabling his flight pack and goggles in order to successfully steal the tech that Hank wanted.

Sam was a good-natured sort and even though he had been defeated by what he liked to refer to as a "bug with no actual fighting training" he had wasted no time in tracking him down and recruiting him when Cap went rogue to prove that Bucky wasn't behind the murder and attack on Wakanda's King T'Chaka.

Scott went back to his phone when another text came in. And Sam again asked, "C'mon, Tic Tac, who's got your attention so much?"

Scott looked back up at the man, "That is absolutely none of your business, birdbrain."

From across the jet a bored voice came, "He's texting his girlfriend, obviously."

"Pietro." Wanda scolded her brother.

The pair looked over at him where he sprawled on his back reading a book. Wanda was sitting across from him. She nudged her foot against his side.

Scott shook his head. "She's not my girlfriend."

Sam jumped on it. "But she is a she?"

Scott rolled his eyes and ignored him. But Pietro spoke up again, putting his book down and pushing to sit up, "Oh, so you aren't going on a date?"

Sam hooted, "Scott my man, look at you!"

Scott scowled, "It's not a date."

Sam leaned forward, attempting to get a look at the screen of Scott's phone. "Not a date, huh?"

"No. It's a not-date." Scott shifted his phone further away from the man currently trying to look at it.

"So, a not-date with your not-girlfriend. Sounds like someone is in denial." Sam teased.

Another eye roll, and Scott said, "Lexi just wants to be friends." Then he shut his eyes as he realized his mistake.

"Ah, so your not-girlfriend's name is Lexi? Sounds sexy."

"Oh my god, shut up birdbrain."

Sam shifted in his seat, throwing an arm across the back as he settled in to continue his teasing, "So, your not-girlfriend, Lexi, is going with you on a not-date as soon as you return?"

"She's just a friend. Friends hang out."

Now Pietro got involved, "Are you telling us you moon over the texts of all your friends, then?"

"What are you talking about?"

Sam smirked, "Speedy, over there is right. Every time a text comes in and it's from your not-girlfriend, you get this silly smile on your face and there are practically hearts in your eyes."

"Oh, whatever." Scott rolled his eyes and did his best to turn his back on the other men and ignore them.

"So, why don't you just ask her out if you like her so much?" Sam asked.