Chapter 8 - Those Meddlesome Avengers

Loki was walking to his apartment when he sensed the movement behind him. Turning quickly, daggers materializing in his hands in a blink he eyed the man standing there. Dropping from his defensive stance but still keeping the daggers in hand, he stood to his full height.

"Is there something you need?" He inquired of the archer, who was casually leaning against the wall.

Clint tilted his head to the side as he debated how to ask what he wanted to ask without angering the man more. Loki felt tense. He always felt a bit out of place whenever he and the archer were alone together. He had mind controlled the man and made him attack his family. Loki might not have been completely in control during that situation himself, but that didn't stop the guilt.

When Clint's eyes flicked to the daggers Loki still held, he sighed lightly and tucked them back away. Then he held his empty hands out to the side. "Better?"

Clint pushed off the wall. "I need to talk to you."

He walked to Loki's door and waited. Loki rolled his eyes, wishing he could just snap the man out of his way, but walking to the door and letting them both in. As Clint wandered around, Loki realized this was the first time that anyone aside from his brother had come into his quarters.

Loki shut the door, placing his hand in the wood and enchanting it. When Clint glanced up at the ceiling briefly, he finally spoke, "Your telepathic right? So, could we have this discussion mentally?"

Now Loki was surprised, whatever the man wanted to talk to him about, apparently, he didn't want it to even be remotely possible that someone could get the A.I. that ran through everything in the tower to repeat the conversation.

With a shrug, Loki dropped the barriers in his mind and pushed out towards the other man. Clint's shoulders stiffened for a moment at the contact but then he relaxed.

You can speak freely.

Okay. Good. This is weird but good.

So?

What is Lexi Bennet to you?

Loki's eyebrows winged up; this was not at all where he thought this was going. He considered his answer for a moment. Deciding to be cautious.

Why?

She's Scott's soulmate.

Yes.

So, why are you seeking her out?

Spying on me, little hawk?

Clint didn't respond, but the color of his thoughts changed, and Loki realized what it meant.

Ah, so it was her you were spying on.

Just answer the question. Why are you seeking her out?

Why do you care?

Because she is Scott's soulmate.

That clearly wasn't the reason, or at least not the only reason. Interested, Loki focused more on the man. Bringing his aura into his sight. To his surprise, Loki recognized the faint changing in the man's aura that showed that the man had come close to his soulmate. Close enough that he started to feel the pull of the bond but not so close that he was able to recognize it for what it was.