Chapter 33 - Aftermath

My groggy brain swam into consciousness slowly. The first thing I was aware of was the rich warm scent of Loki. I vaguely recalled feeling him climbing into bed last night and fitting himself against my back. Sometime between then and now I had apparently turned over so that my face was buried against him. The next thing I became aware of was the fact that there was a supernova behind me. I shifted, and the supernova pulled me closer, wrapping around me so thoroughly I felt like a living teddy bear.

My first thought was Pietro, since I knew he ran hot like this, but the body felt wrong and when I shifted again I heard a soft whirring as an arm tightened around my stomach. I wiggled again.

"If you keep doing that darling, you're going to end up getting the Sergeant all excited." Loki's voice was a low rumble in my ear.

I finally opened my eyes, feeling how gritty they felt. As I blinked up into Loki's green eyes, and saw his smile. Worrying that after the uncontrollable sobbing of the night before I likely looked like a hot mess, I wiggled again attempting to move out from between these two. The only thing that happened was Bucky pulled me closer and his legs wrapped over one of mine and tucked between them. I felt Loki's low chuckle and the amusement pouring out of his mind.

"It's not funny." I grumbled.

"It kind of is darling."

I wiggled and huffed, "He's like a billion degrees. If he keeps holding me like this I'm going to spontaneously combust."

Loki's hand stroked along the skin on my shoulder as he said, "Darling, he might be warm but not so warm as to cause you to burst into flames."

I wiggled for a moment more before giving up completely and settling with glaring at Loki, who was being no help at all. I blew a strand of hair out of my face and asked, "Why is he so hot?"

Bucky's breath hit the back of my neck on a gust and his voice was rough with sleep as he said, "I knew you thought I was hot."

"Ugh, shut up Bucky." I shifted again now that he was waking up expecting him to let me go. Instead, his arms tightened again and he sucked in a breath, "You really gotta stop doing that doll."

I started to ask why, then I felt why and I slapped at his arm, "Then let me up you idiot."

Bucky hummed, his fingers gripping for a moment before he disentangled himself from around me and rolled away. The moment I was free, Loki rolled over onto his back pulling me onto his chest. In comparison to Bucky's sweltering heat of a moment ago, Loki's skin was cool. I sighed in relief and draped myself across him like a rag doll.

"Mhm. How are you so cool." I mumbled against his chest as his long fingers danced gently up my back.

"I'm a frost giant darling."

My head popped up, "Say what now?"

His eyes glittered, "Frost Giant."

"I mean you're tall but I wouldn't call you giant."

Loki's smile was a little bemused as he said, "No, darling, it's my species."

My mouth fell open, "But you look human."

He pinched my thigh and I yelped and squirmed away from his hand, "No, darling, you look Asgardian."

I rolled my eyes as Bucky asked, "Are you feeling better today?"

I looked over where he was sitting on the edge of the bed and looking at us. I pushed up against Loki's chest to take in the destruction from the night before. Then I just sighed heavily and flopped over onto the bed and pulled a pillow over my head.