Chapter 50 - A New Old Threat

"Want to have some fun before you say goodbye to this place forever?"

I set down the box I was carrying near the door and turned to face Bucky who was currently leaning against the wall to the hallway, "Fun?"

He grinned at me, and I got a mental image of exactly the kind of fun he was thinking of. I crossed my arms, "Oh, you mean that kind of fun."

"Well, you are wearing that. What can you expect."

I looked down at myself. I was wearing a torn pair of pants and a tank top that was fraying at the edges, "Oh, is this what gets you going?"

He walked over to me, hooking his fingers into my belt loops to tug me closer to him, "Pretty much anything you wear gets me going, doll."

I stifled a laugh, "That's because you want to see what's under it."

Bucky's metal hand pushed up under the edge of the tank to stroke along my back and brush against the band of my bra, "That is a possibility."

His head dipped and as his lips brushed mine there was a knock on the door. Bucky groaned as he let me go. I told him to grab the final box from the bedroom and went to answer the door, assuming it was one of the others. It was time for me to move into the apartment in the tower.

Opening the door, I found Zemo. I smiled immediately, wrapping my arms around him, "Hey! I didn't know you were back in the country."

"For a little while. I hear that you are moving into the tower."

I rolled my eyes, "And you came to say 'I told you so'?"

"Dear one, I would never do that. I am too refined for that." He gave me one of his barely there smiles. Turning towards the noise of Bucky coming back out of the bedroom. I caught the surprise that flickered through Zemo's head.

"James."

"Zemo? Why the fuck are you here?"

"Bucky be nice." Bucky shot me a look before he returned his attention back to Zemo.

I stepped between them, placing a hand on Bucky's arm before I addressed Zemo, "So, why are you here?"

Zemo's eyes flicked between the two of us for a moment before he said, "I was hoping to talk to you. I have some information that might be useful to you and your soulmates."

"Okay. What?"

"Perhaps we can talk alone?"

Bucky pushed forward again, "Absolutely not."

I rolled my eyes, "Bucky. Can you take the boxes to the car?"

When Bucky didn't move, I wrapped my fingers around his forearm and looked into his eyes. The tension rippled through him, and there was a soft whirring from his metal arm as his hands clenched. Then he was sighing and moving away. When I turned back to Zemo, his eyes were narrowed in calculation.

He nodded towards the door Bucky just exited, "Really?"

"Really what?" I asked, playing clueless.

"The soldier and you. You are involved with him?"

"Not sure exactly what—" I started.

Zemo waved his hand, "Lexi, I'm not judging you. I was just surprised. If you are happy that is what matters."

"Bucky is a friend."

He hummed, a smile ghosting across his lips, "Yes, a special kind of friend I imagine."