I. ᴘᴏᴏʀ ɢʀᴀᴅᴇs ᴀɴᴅ ғʀᴏᴡɴʏ ғᴀᴄᴇs

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝︎𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑓𝑢𝑙𝑙 𝑜𝑓 𝑤𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑑𝑠𝑟𝑖𝑑𝑑𝑙𝑒𝑑 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑠𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑠𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑏𝑒𝑎𝑢𝑡𝑖𝑓𝑢𝑙❞︎

𝑟𝑖𝑑𝑑𝑙𝑒𝑑 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑠𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑠
𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔
𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑏𝑒𝑎𝑢𝑡𝑖𝑓𝑢𝑙❞︎

─︎ 𝑟.ℎ. 𝑆𝑖𝑛
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

High school, a place full of melancholy and ludicrous teenagers, truly tormented Madeline. In her opinion, none of the mindless teenagers traipsing the passageways were worth her time, besides the promising, likable students. Yawning, she dreaded going to a classroom with her father, knowing an embarrassing statement about her would tumble past her father's mouth. As she trekked the hallway, she glimpsed at all of her surroundings but the front of her, causing her to roughly bump into a human boy, or so she thought.

"Oh, I am so sorry." she apologized, mindful that the incident was her own fault. "I wasn't looking."

"That's alright." the boy grinned faintly. Something inside her begged to discover his name, although the ambiance wafting around him seemed gloomy.

"It's my first day, so I have no idea where everything is," she explained. "Judging by everyone's glances towards you, you are certainly popular here."

"You're quite observant." the boy nodded, impressed by the girl's observation skills. "My name is Stefan Salvatore."

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Stefan." she smiled, revealing her intricate dimples. At that particular moment, it seemed like all the surrounding conversations dulled as they unintentionally admired each other's facial features. "My name is Madeline Sage Saltzman."

"Like the new teacher I have been hearing about?" Stefan questioned.

"Yeah, he might humiliate me a lot, but he's always protected me," Madeline answered, smiling as she mentioned her adoptive father. The father and daughter maintained a good relationship, even with all the vampire business and moving around from place to place. Once their mission to discover more about vampires was done in a certain town, they always moved on to another, not providing them enough time to develop roots or a support system. Little did they know, it would be significantly different in Mystic Falls.

"He sounds nice, and I am sure he won't embarrass you too badly." Stefan reasoned, finding the tone she used to speak about her father admirable. He never got to speak about his father like that.

"About my father; I have no idea where his class is," Madeline said awkwardly. "Do you mind directing me towards it?"

"I don't mind at all." Stefan declared. Aside from Elena and her friends, Madeline appeared to be the only person he genuinely spoke to so far, and he was absolutely ecstatic to possibly have a friend. Carefully, Stefan guided her through the crowds of students to the class she was desperately trying to locate. Madeline knew if she were late to her own father's class, she would never hear the end of it. Her father would use it against her during their meaningless arguments that were easily blown over.

Appreciative, she sent Stefan a kind smile before taking a seat, producing a mental note to perhaps talk to him again. Knowing her and her father's habits, she should stay away from the boy. What's the point of getting close to someone when you know you'll move away soon? However, there was no harm in trying to feel somewhat normal. Stefan took a spot near a brunette girl, who was right behind Madeline. Not wanting to learn about some history she already knew, she gently settled her head on her table, unaware she would soon regret it.

"Good morning, everyone." the new history teacher greeted, strolling inside and standing in front of the chalkboard as the bell rang. Repeating what he did every time he earned a job at a school, he jotted his name down in all capital letters, quietly muttering each letter as the chalk left a slight residue on his fingertips.

"There. Alaric Saltzman," he concluded, positioning the chalk where it belonged and dusting his hands off. "It's a mouthful. I know. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue." He continued articulating how to properly pronounce his name and little factors about him.

"You can call me Rick," he continued. "I am your new history teacher. By the way, the girl sleeping on her desk is my daughter, and she is new here, so don't get any ideas, boys."

"I was not sleeping," Madeline mumbled, lifting her head off the desk as she noticed all eyes were on her. Her eyes met Stefan's, and she provided him a look that expressed her previous prediction was correct; her father had tried to embarrass her. In response, the Salvatore conveyed her a comforting smile and redirected his gaze to the teacher. It didn't take long for the class to end, causing the students to practically flee from the room.

°︎•︎∙︎☽∙︎•︎°︎

If anyone knew Caroline Forbes, they would know that she was extraordinarily sociable and always striving to make new companions. Hoping to gain a new person to hang out with, she confidently ambled over to the new girl, who was exhausted and scribbling in her sketchbook at a table that stood in front of the high school.

"Hello. I am sorry for disturbing you, but I just wanted to come up and introduce myself." the blonde said to Madeline with an infectious smile, waiting for a response. "I'm Caroline Forbes."

"You aren't disturbing me, Caroline Forbes, don't worry," Madeline assured, smiling as the blonde made herself comfortable on the table. "My name is Madeline Sage Saltzman."

"Oh, I know. It's easy to learn the new girl's name when everyone keeps talking about her." the blonde informed, glimpsing at Madeline's drawings in awe.

"What exactly are they saying about me?" Madeline questioned, slightly interested.

"That you have gorgeous green eyes and are the daughter of our new history teacher." Caroline giggled, getting a closer look at the drawings she wholeheartedly admired.

"Well, I have heard worse stuff at my old school," Madeline commented, setting down her pencil.

"Like what?" Caroline asked.

"The students said that I was a freak and slept with the principal." Madeline laughed, not troubled by the foolish rumors. In all honesty, she found them quite amusing.

"Did you ever get them back for that?" Caroline giggled.

"I did. Whenever my dad would ask me for help with grading assignments, I would purposely give them a poor grade and a frowny face. My frowny faces were masterpieces." Madeline whispered jokingly, acting as if her old classmates would overhear them. "I also got in a lot of fights with them."

"You and I are going to get along great." Caroline smiled.

"I sense that too." Madeline agreed, not noticing that a pair of ears were eavesdropping on the females' conversation attentively. And just like that, Madeline was on the path to achieving her first girl best friend at Mystic Falls.

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂
︎𝑎/𝑛: 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑠 𝑖𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑓𝑖𝑟𝑠𝑡 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟! 𝐼 ℎ𝑜𝑝𝑒
𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑒𝑛𝑗𝑜𝑦𝑒𝑑 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑢𝑒 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔!
𝑠𝑜𝑟𝑟𝑦 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑎𝑛𝑦 𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑒𝑟𝑟𝑜𝑟𝑠!
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎