XL. ᴛᴀɴᴋ ᴛᴏᴘs ᴀɴᴅ ᴛᴇᴇɴᴀɢᴇʀs

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑏𝑎𝑏𝑦,𝑖'𝑚 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑠 𝑡𝑖𝑙 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑝𝑜𝑒𝑡𝑠 𝑟𝑢𝑛𝑜𝑢𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑟ℎ𝑦𝑚𝑒𝑠

❝𝑏𝑎𝑏𝑦,
𝑖'𝑚 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑠 𝑡𝑖𝑙 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑝𝑜𝑒𝑡𝑠 𝑟𝑢𝑛
𝑜𝑢𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑟ℎ𝑦𝑚𝑒𝑠.❞︎

─︎ 𝑎𝑟𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑐 𝑚𝑜𝑛𝑘𝑒𝑦𝑠

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

As intended, Katherine had impersonated Elena and made a grand reappearance, halting Stefan's scheduled hangout with Maddie. Annoyed, Madeline waltzed into the school, wearing a tank top because of the warm weather, with her brother by her side. Collarbone and shoulders exposed, she ignored the lascivious glances she received from teenage boys. Pietro would send them daggers.

"Hey, Leine," Stefan said, confused as to why she looked aggravated. "What's wrong?"

"Horny teenagers that wander this fucking school can't seem to take a hint," Madeline grumbled, shoving her things into her locker angrily. "I can't even wear a tank top without someone glancing at me without the intention of fucking me. Boys seriously can't keep their dick in their pants. What the fuck is so appealing about shoulders?"

That's the thing Stefan found annoying about humans. Madeline was enchanting ─︎ that was no lie ─︎ but her looks weren't what Stefan liked most. In fact, it was her discernible dimples and her understanding. She fought her way out of most situations, was wickedly determined, and loved in a way that seemed utterly impossible. He liked her for her.

"Well, I can always have a little chat with them, you know?" Stefan said, watching as the girl's smile broke through and replaced her scowl.

"I would be happy to add a few punches into the discussion, sestra," Pietro added, smirking as the mini Gilbert approached and overheard the conversation.

"I'm in," Jeremy said, arms crossed. He may have been younger than Maddie, but he always felt the need to protect her ─︎ even though it was perfectly clear she could take care of her problems. He was like another brother. "Damon wouldn't mind helping."

"As much as I would love to agree to that offer, you lot would probably kill them." Madeline smiled, shaking her head as she shoved her locker door back into place and zipped up her backpack. "If I need to, I'll let you four know."

Needing to get to class, Pietro and Jeremy rolled their eyes upon hearing the bell. The twin brother asked, "Stefan, make sure no boys approach her, will you? I gotta go."

"Of course." Stefan nodded, and the group went their separate ways. "Sorry about Katherine appearing again."

Sensing her skin chill at the sound of the vampire's name, Madeline shrugged, wanting the fear she still felt to wane. "It's not your fault, Stef. You couldn't control what she did to me or what she does now."

"Doesn't make me feel any less guilty," Stefan mumbled as they neared their classroom doorway, halting before entering. "Just remember, you can always talk to me."

Madeline nodded, dimples deepening. "You remind me constantly, Stefan. Thank you for that."

°︎•︎∙︎☽∙︎•︎°︎

Joining the fun after completing her homework, Madeline strolled into the Grill with Caroline, Jenna, Bonnie, and Elena, eager to forget. In less than thirty minutes, Jenna and Alaric had gotten into a tiny argument about their separation, Caroline had gotten Matt back by singing in front of an entire crowd, and Bonnie got approval to pursue Elena's brother, Jeremy.

Parties weren't necessarily her scene, but this one was an exception. The band and the energy wafting around her made her want to stay. Unfortunately, it all went wrong relatively quickly. Luka was deceased, leaving Dr. Martin in the mood to get revenge for his son and abduct Elena to get his daughter back. Unaware of the situation, Madeline's eyes widened as the lights burst, resulting in sparks exploding and glass shattering. It all went to hell in an instant. Alcohol was splayed across the bar all by itself, catching on fire without a detailed rationale.

Running into Dr. Martin as she tried to get to a screaming Caroline, her body felt as if it froze, unable to control it. The walock had performed some spell on her, which only pissed her off. "Where is Elena?"

"I don't know," Madeline muttered through her gritted teeth. Catching the warlock by surprise, Madeline made chairs whisk at the enemy with her mind, causing his spell on her to dilute.

"Madeline!" Stefan exclaimed as her eyes shone red, the out-of-control items zooming around and the scarlet wisps around her hands urging the warlock out of the bar as she concentrated on Caroline and Matt. She didn't want to kill the man, mainly because he still had Bonnie's powers and because his sorrow had taken control of the wheel. Unleashing a puff of relief, Stefan dashed towards her, startling the hunter as his hands gently fastened onto her arms. Ready to swing, Madeline prohibited herself from whacking the vampire as she registered his concerned face, her green eyes re-emerging.

Cupping her face to search for injuries, he asked, "Are you hurt?"

"I'm ok, Stef," she said after pulling herself together, trying to ignore how Stefan's thumb rubbed loving circles on her face, his eyes crammed with worry as she grabbed his hands. "I promise."

°︎•︎∙︎☽∙︎•︎°︎

"If I go to sleep right now, there's a chance I may wake up hungover-free," Jenna commented as she sat in the kitchen, gobbling up the ice cream Madeline brought over just for her. Maddie decided to have a sleepover with Elena, and Pietro was currently slumbering on the couch, his arm dangling off the edge.

Madeline smiled as Elena entered the room, interrupting the fun talk they were having. "Screw hangovers. We have been on this earth for I don't know how many years, and we haven't found a way to completely erase hangovers?"

"Right!" Jenna said, giving Maddie a spoon. Despite how Jenna felt towards Alaric, she didn't let it stand in the way of her mother-daughter relationship with the younger Saltzman.

Elena sat down, stealing the ice cream from the two girls, causing them to frown. "Sharing is caring."

"Hand over the ice cream, and all will be good, Lena," Madeline warned, threatening to throw her plastic spoon in the doppelganger's direction.

"No violence, kids," Jenna said as a knock on the door materialized, rendering the aunt go answer it. Feeling like she should accompany her, Madeline and Elena tagged along, eyes widening at the sight of their mother at the front door.

"Hi, you must be Jenna," Isobel said as her eyes lingered on her adopted daughter, noticing her hands balled up into fists. "I'm Elena's mother and Madeline's adoptive mother."

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎