XLV. ᴄᴏᴏᴋɪᴇ ᴅᴏᴜɢʜ ᴀɴᴅ ᴠᴏʟᴅᴇᴍᴏʀᴛ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑑 ℎ𝑎𝑠 𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑠𝑒𝑞𝑢𝑒𝑛𝑐𝑒𝑠.𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑠𝑖𝑙𝑒𝑛𝑐𝑒, 𝑡𝑜𝑜

𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑠𝑖𝑙𝑒𝑛𝑐𝑒, 𝑡𝑜𝑜.❞︎

─︎ 𝑗𝑒𝑎𝑛 𝑝𝑎𝑢𝑙 𝑠𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑟𝑒

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Stefan and Madeline walked in comfortable silence, enjoying each other's presence. None of them wanted to talk about the hunter's impending doom.

The sky was painted with colorful hues of bright orange and fading pink as they traipsed through the forest. Taking the spotlight, the sun began rising, making the colors all the more rich and glamorous. Madeline wasn't a morning person, but Stefan had threatened to take all her strawberry ice cream if she didn't come along. That was enough motivation to get a move on. Stopping in the middle of the woods, Stefan exhaled nervously. Realizing he halted, Madeline stood in front of him, analyzing his features.

"Don't think about it, Stefan," Madeline whispered, smiling even under the dreadful circumstances. She merely wanted one last day. "It'll only make it worse."

"How can I not think about it?" Stefan mumbled, looking down at her lips before subsiding to her green eyes. "Leine, do you trust me?"

"With every bone in my body," Madeline replied, speculating where the conversation was headed. His voice was more tender, more sincere.

Stefan couldn't believe he was going to do it, but he was. He couldn't live with himself if he didn't. "Can you take off your vervain?"

"Well, that's an odd request," Madeline commented, but she accepted nonetheless. The pieces of jewelry were soon on the ground, sitting on the bed of leaves. "What is it?"

Gulping, Stefan fiddled with his ring, anxiousness building exponentially. He whispered, "Don't hate me for this."

"What are you ─︎," Madeline began to say before his lips were on hers. As her world slowed down, the shock entering her body made her eyes widen.

Though, desiring more, her eyes closed and her body relaxed; her hands cupping the vampire's face to deepen the kiss. Surprised she returned the action, Stefan made it his mission to memorize how their lips moved together in sync, how he had never felt such adoration. It was a sensation so wonderful and unique. He was addicted to it, and his hands were entangling in her hair to bring her body closer. Both of them couldn't think of anything, lost in the kiss.

The longer their lips remained attached, the more they craved. Remembering what he planned to do, he separated their lips, the impression of her mouth lingering on his. It took him a while to comprehend that she had kissed him back.