XVI. ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴜɪʟᴛʏ ᴠᴀᴍᴘɪʀᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴀsᴇᴍᴇɴᴛ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑠ℎ𝑒'𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑡𝑦𝑝𝑒𝑜𝑓 𝑓𝑙𝑜𝑤𝑒𝑟𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑐𝑎𝑛 𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑔𝑟𝑜𝑤 𝑎𝑓𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑎 𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑓𝑖𝑟𝑒

❝𝑠ℎ𝑒'𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑡𝑦𝑝𝑒
𝑜𝑓 𝑓𝑙𝑜𝑤𝑒𝑟
𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑐𝑎𝑛 𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑔𝑟𝑜𝑤 𝑎𝑓𝑡𝑒𝑟
𝑎 𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑓𝑖𝑟𝑒.❞︎

─︎ 𝑎𝑐𝑟𝑒𝑤𝑠𝑠
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

"I'm sorry I didn't see them crown you Miss Mystic Falls." Madeline apologized as she spoke to her phone, laying in her bed with her neck aching. The blonde girl had been chatting about it nonstop earlier, and Madeline missed the opportunity to celebrate it with her. Her father hadn't left her unattended until now, which made the girl slightly smile to herself at her father's protectiveness.

"No, no, no. You don't get to apologize. I am just glad you're okay." Caroline said instantly, feeling apologetic that she was having a good time while her best friend was being harmed. "How are you feeling?"

"I have gone through worse. It still hurts, and I know everyone in school will be talking about it." Madeline sighed, despising the emotion she felt whenever she was the center of attention. Remembering she had to sell her story of not recalling anything about the event, she unwillingly fibbed. "I don't even remember what happened, so I won't have answers to their annoying questions. I think I just won't go for a while."

"Well, if anyone bothers you about it or even talks about it around me, I will pulverize their bodies into tiny pieces and dump them in acid without remorse." Caroline giggled as if her warning wasn't frightening.

"Thanks, I guess." Madeline joked, nodding even though the blonde couldn't observe it.

"I have to go, Mads. See you tomorrow?" Caroline questions before she gushed out an exhausted yawn.

"Definitely, Care." Madeline smiled, feeling better after chatting with her blonde friend. "Be safe, I love you."

"I love you too." Care declared before hanging up and leaving the vampire hunter in a room of silence. She hated silence. It was as if it were consuming her in a foreign place that no one came out of, so she put on some sensational music in her room as she straightened it up. Piles and piles of garments were flung on her bed from stressing over an outfit. Sagging her shoulders, she reluctantly commenced folding and hanging her clothing, unable to fall asleep. Rudely, a call postponed her cleaning session. Flickering in luminous light, Elena's name blared on her phone.

"This is the best vampire hunter in Mystic Falls. How may I help you?" Madeline said into her phone, pressing it against her ear hard enough to feel the cold material it was composed of as she completed her clothing disaster.

"Madeline, I vervained Stefan," Elena confessed, extremely distraught. "He is out of control, and I know he isn't thinking straight. After he attacked you today, I knew I couldn't just leave him like this. I ─︎," Elena rambled frantically.