XXXI. ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴀᴄᴋʏᴀʀᴅɪɢᴀɴs ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀsǫᴜᴇʀᴀᴅᴇ ʙᴀʟʟ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑑𝑎𝑦 𝑖 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙𝑓𝑖𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑟𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑑𝑠𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑏𝑒𝑠𝑖𝑚𝑝𝑙𝑒

❝𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑑𝑎𝑦 𝑖 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙
𝑓𝑖𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑟𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑑𝑠
𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑏𝑒
𝑠𝑖𝑚𝑝𝑙𝑒.❞︎

─︎ 𝑗𝑎𝑐𝑘 𝑘𝑒𝑟𝑜𝑢𝑎𝑐
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Katherine had confronted Caroline, desiring the blonde to send a clear message to the group. Of course, she wanted to moonstone. Unfortunately for her, no one wanted to hand it over, partially out of pettiness and a fear of what she may do with it.

As Madeline had predicted, the Masquerade Ball was the vampire's choice of location.

"She wants to do it in public. Killing Mason threw her off guard." Stefan said, but Madeline wondered if it was true. Based on what she heard and what she witnessed, the brunette vampire always had a backup plan. Without them, she would not have been as successful at getting what she needed to survive.

"She's running scared. What she did to Jenna was desperate. She's out of tricks." Damon said confidently, causing Madeline to scoff in disbelief.

Madeline shook her head. "She has managed to stay alive long enough to prepare for most scenarios. There is no way she doesn't have a plan. She knows our weakness and is much stronger."

"Madeline is right. We can't underestimate her." Stefan nodded, pacing as he sought to create a solution. "We have to play this smarter than her."

"Can we just give her the moonstone so she'll leave?" Caroline said, tired of being afraid of entering her own home and being tormented.

"No. Katherine's not getting dick." Damon refused, exceptionally obstinate, as he shifted somewhere else in their living room.

"Well, according to Mason, she certainly was getting some," Madeline whispered, causing the vampires to suppress gags.

"Ew," Caroline commented, shuddering at the thought.

"Really, Ginny?" Damon said, pondering if there was ever a situation where her clever remarks weren't present.

Madeline countered, "What did I say about the nickname?"

"I remember what you said. I just don't care." Damon smirked, and the blonde looked back and forth between the bickering friends.

"Okay, let's not get off track here." Stefan reminded, astounded the two could playfully quarrel like there wasn't a psychopath trying to slaughter everyone.

"Fine. I have had it. I'm gonna go to the Masquerade Ball, and I am going to kill her." Damon announced, his plan easier said than done. "Tonight!"

"You're not gonna kill her," Stefan argued, concealing his own desire to murder the manipulative vampire once and for all.