LIX. ʀᴇᴄᴋʟᴇss ᴀɴᴅ ᴇsᴄᴀᴘɪɴɢ ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴛʏ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝︎𝒘𝒆 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒃𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒊𝒓𝒆𝒅𝒂𝒕 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒂𝒈𝒆

𝒂𝒕 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒂𝒈𝒆.❞︎

─︎ 𝒋.𝒃
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Before, Stefan assumed his actions left him with no friends left, no one to rely on. Based on everyone's opinions, he deemed his strategies unforgivable. He couldn't blame them. How could anyone remain peaceful with a person who inflicted immense pain and suffering?

So how did Madeline seem to forgive him?

She was smiling as she opened her freezer, pulling out a bucket of strawberry ice cream. "Wanna share this time?" she commented. Knowing exactly where everything was, he grabbed two spoons. He made sure to grab her favorite one.

How could she act like nothing happened? All the things he had said were eating him alive, tormenting the little bit of sanity he had remaining.

"I don't know," Stefan mumbled, looking at the ice cream longingly. "I kinda liked having it all to myself."

"Too bad," Madeline said, getting a spoon from his hand and walking to the sofa.

"Do you trust me?" Stefan said as he sat down beside her, hiding a smile when he saw how she eagerly opened the container. "I could be tricking you for all you know."

"You could." Madeline nodded, taking a spoonful of ice cream and handing him the bucket. "But I'm willing to take my chances."

Stefan scoffed as she put the ice cream in her mouth, her smile widening at the flavor. "You shouldn't be so reckless." Thinking back to the time when he almost took his own life because of the consuming guilt, he remembered how Madeline sat in the basement with him, listening to his shame. Just like she was now, her facial expressions did not reveal an ounce of disgust or disappointment. She still saw him the same way.

"Perhaps." Madeline shrugged, relaxing on the couch and putting on the TV. "I am pretty strong and can fend for myself."

"Your recklessness is going to get you killed," Stefan warned, ignoring her comment as he sat down. He made sure to keep some distance between them.

"How can I when I have you to protect me?" Madeline teased, putting on their favorite movie. "My personal bodyguard."

"I'm not your bodyguard." Stefan denied. "You don't need one. Like you said, you can fend for yourself."

Immersed in the movie's intro, Madeline's green eyes gleamed with wonder, similar to how an innocent kid would look at the world. Stefan sighed, unable to stay without saying an apology. "I'm sorry, Leine."