XXI. ᴍᴇsᴍᴇʀɪᴢɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛᴀᴄᴋʟɪɴɢ ᴜɴᴄʟᴇ ᴊᴏʜɴ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑖𝑛 𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑒𝑛 𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑡𝑎𝑙𝑘𝑠𝑖 𝑓𝑒𝑙𝑡 𝑖𝑛 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑦𝑜𝑢

𝑖 𝑓𝑒𝑙𝑡 𝑖𝑛 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑦𝑜𝑢.❞︎

─︎ 𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑙 𝑎.𝑔.
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Feeling overwhelmed by the number of eyes on her, Madeline tinkered with the silky ribbon in her hair, hoping to alleviate her nerves.

"Nervous?" Stefan questioned, recognizing the vampire hunter's anxious demeanor while Elena talked to Caroline.

"Oh, never." the girl declared sarcastically. "I am just visualizing all the things I can do wrong on the float. I can trip on my dress and fall off the damn thing. I can make someone else fall or drop the banner on somebody. Many things can go wrong, Stefano."

"Well, I know that won't happen," Stefan assured. "You can take down vampires. You can do this simple task."

"Thanks, but this dress isn't giving me much confidence." Madeline sighed, glancing down at her outfit for the thousandth time.

"You look mesmerizing, Leine," Stefan confessed as if he had no power over what he let out. "You will do great. All you have to do is hold a banner and smile."

"Mesmerizing, huh?" Maddie joked, raising a brow. "I love validation, Stefano." Stefan chuckled, delighted her nervous behavior was refurbished with her ordinary bantering one.

"No, but seriously, thanks, Stefan." Madeline smiled. "I appreciate it." Again, her dimples made their special arrival, making the vampire's smile larger. Interrupting the moment, everyone began clambering onto the float, indicating they had to go as well. Cautiously, the vampire helped Maddie onto the float, along with his girlfriend. The parade was about to begin.

"Good luck, Leine," he whispered to his friend.

"I'll need it. Don't accidentally push off Elena, alright?" Madeline retorted.

°︎•︎∙︎☽∙︎•︎°︎

Once on the float, cheers were exploded from the crowd as they passed by. Admiring how sophisticated the women and their escorts' suits were, people couldn't help but stare. Madeline's float design seemed to have paid off, and she couldn't be happier. In the crowd, Bonnie made sure to make herself acknowledged, earning a gracious smile and a wave from the vampire hunter.

Smirking, the raven-haired vampire also waved at the hunter, and he surprisingly received a grin too. Commonly, he predicted she would transmit him an eye roll or something that articulated her utter disapproval for him, but she did none of those things.