XLII. ᴋʟᴀᴜs's ꜰɪʀsᴛ ᴍᴏᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ɪɴᴛᴇʀʟᴀᴄᴇᴅ ʜᴀɴᴅs

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝ℎ𝑢𝑚𝑎𝑛𝑠 𝑐𝑎𝑛 𝑏𝑒 𝑚𝑢𝑠𝑒𝑢𝑚𝑠 𝑡𝑜𝑜,𝑓𝑖𝑙𝑙𝑒𝑑 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ ℎ𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑐𝑎𝑛 𝑛𝑜 𝑙𝑜𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑜𝑢𝑐ℎ

𝑓𝑖𝑙𝑙𝑒𝑑 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ ℎ𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦
𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑐𝑎𝑛 𝑛𝑜 𝑙𝑜𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑜𝑢𝑐ℎ.❞︎

─︎ 𝑏.𝑠

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Madeline didn't know what to do. Crying and confronting the grief wasn't an option. All she knew to do was bottle it up and find something to distract her from the loss of her mother. Deeming the life she led, it wasn't hard to find something and concentrate on it.

She couldn't eat or sleep, no matter how much her friends urged her to. Her father, who was the only one who truly knew Isobel, wasn't answering her calls or messages. To say that irritated her was an understatement.

Sluggishly, the hunter stood up from the couch, her usual motivation to start the day drained. Pietro and Stefan operated in the kitchen, hoping to give her the breakfast they were working on. Damon simply watched, criticizing their every mistake. Luckily, they managed to stop her from exiting the front door.

"Hey, sestra. Guess what I made for you?" Pietro said, leaving out the part where he relied on Stefan's help.

Stefan interrupted, "It was more me. He mostly just minced and washed the ingredients." In his hands was a bowl of soup, the smell heavenly.

"Look, I appreciate the thought, Stef, but I'm not really hungry," Madeline said apologetically, eye missing enthusiasm. "I'll have lunch at school."

Recognizing the obvious lie, Damon blocked her way to the door, arms crossed. "Sorry, Ginny. You aren't leaving until you eat that."

"Damon, please. I need to go to school and find my dad." Madeline pleaded, her eye bags evidently becoming more noticeable from her lack of sleep.

"Nope. It's obvious you aren't ok. You can't just go about your day and pretend that everything is normal." Damon said, which sounded slightly hypocritical since he did that as well. They were alike in many ways.

Getting restless, Madeline used her powers to open the door, knocking Damon out of the way. "Sorry, dude, but you were in my way." With that, she left the household, lacking spirit.

"She's going to do something stupid," Pietro said, concerned.

"Really? I didn't notice." Damon mumbled sarcastically before groaning, lifting himself off the polished floor.

"I'll monitor her the best I can, but there's no telling what she will do, especially with Alaric ignoring her calls," Stefan said, nervous for whatever events were approaching.