XXXVII. ᴊᴜʟᴇs ᴀɴᴅ ꜰᴀʟsᴇ ʜᴏᴘᴇ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑤𝑒 𝑑𝑎𝑛𝑐𝑒𝑑 𝑓𝑟𝑒𝑒𝑙𝑦𝑡𝑜 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑚𝑒𝑙𝑜𝑑𝑦𝑜𝑓 𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑙𝑎𝑢𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑒𝑟

❝𝑤𝑒 𝑑𝑎𝑛𝑐𝑒𝑑 𝑓𝑟𝑒𝑒𝑙𝑦
𝑡𝑜 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑚𝑒𝑙𝑜𝑑𝑦
𝑜𝑓 𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑙𝑎𝑢𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑒𝑟.❞︎

─︎ ℎ𝑎𝑟𝑝𝑟𝑒𝑒𝑡 𝑑𝑎𝑦𝑎𝑙
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

"You brought back John Gilbert? Mr. I hate vampires and like trying to burn them in a building?" Madeline reprimanded. Bringing back Isobel was the original plan. John was never supposed to be involved, like ever again. If she ever saw him again, she would constantly have to hold back the urge to whack him. "The person who tried killing me and Damon?"

"That's your big Save-Elena move?" Damon added, agreeing with the hunter. The two mentally decided not to utter a word about how Rose's death played out, and they were both okay with it. Sentiments weren't Damon's forte, so he bundled them into a ball and locked it in a vault. Madeline knew he didn't want to contaminate his "reputation," but she knew he was grateful.

"I went looking for Isobel, and I got John instead." Stefan clarified as they all stood in the Salvatore brothers' home. "He said he could help us, and we're desperate."

"Not that desperate." Madeline and Damon chastised in unison. Stefan paused, shocked they were finally agreeing with each other. He almost missed their bantering.

"Like Ginny said, he tried barbecuing us." Damon continued, expressing his pure displeasure towards Stefan's strategy.

"Yeah, I didn't enjoy being knocked out," Madeline complained. She was still bitter that her fight with John had no determined winner, but she knew she would've been the victor. "I would've won that fucking fight if it weren't for the police officers."

Damon nodded, having been a witness to Madeline's conflict with the Gilbert. "I have no doubts about that."

"Guys. Focus. Bonnie's new witch friend is working with Elijah, so we have to assume that the moonstone was never destroyed. Elena is putting all of her faith into some deal that she made with Elijah to keep everyone safe." Stefan ranted, his annoyance directed at the situation evident. "I mean, do you trust Elijah? Madeline and I don't trust him. He's an Original. He can't be trusted. It's not like we can just go up and kill him because apparently, he can't die!"

"That literally doesn't answer why John Gilbert has to be here." Madeline chuckled humorlessly, rubbing her temples.

"Yeah, still waiting on that bit." Damon acknowledged, lips pursed.

Stefan answered, "He knew about the sacrifice. Isobel told him. He said he knew of a way to keep Elena safe."

"Which is?" Madeline questioned, impatient to hear whatever bullshit John said this time. Each justification and lie seemed to get weirder and weirder.