XXIV. ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀʀɴɪᴠᴀʟ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄᴀʀᴏʟɪɴᴇ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑚𝑎𝑑𝑒 𝑝𝑎𝑖𝑛 𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑘 𝑠𝑜 𝑏𝑒𝑎𝑢𝑡𝑖𝑓𝑢𝑙

❝𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑚𝑎𝑑𝑒 𝑝𝑎𝑖𝑛
𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑘 𝑠𝑜 𝑏𝑒𝑎𝑢𝑡𝑖𝑓𝑢𝑙.❞︎

─︎ 𝑟.ℎ. 𝑆𝑖𝑛
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Fatigued, the vampire hunter said good night to her father and retreated to her room, preparing for another night of no sleep. Longing to make herself fall into a slumber, she plucked a novel from her shelves and began reading. Instead of getting drowsy, she found herself invested in the fiction, which wasn't part of the plan. Careful not to disturb her father, she whisked to her kitchen, rummaging the pantry for something to eat. Sighing, she closed the cabinets after browsing each inch.

Once again, there were no snacks. Maybe there would be some if Stefan and Madeline hadn't eaten them all, but that wasn't the point. Disgruntled, Madeline trudged back to her room and pondered if any store would be open at midnight. Modest and distinguishable, a knock rattled her window.

"Stefan Salvatore." she acknowledged, smiling as she allowed the man to infiltrate her home. Fastened in his hand, a plastic bag swayed as he ambled. "What are you doing here while a doppelganger vampire is on the loose?"

"Well, I just wanted to quickly stop by to drop off some things for you," Stefan said as he hauled the bag onto her mattress, making it collide against the assortment of color-coordinated cushions. Interest polluting in her verdant eyes, she grinned as the two plopped onto her bed, facing each other with their feet drooping off the edge.

Madeline hummed faintly as she pondered what the items in the bag could be. "Is it deadly?"

"Of course not," Stefan answered, sensing his mouth shape with a well-known grin. As her dimples rose on both sides of her cheeks, she dove into the sack, deliberately dumping out the unknown things onto her favorite blanket.

It had been one that her father had gotten when he adopted her, ensuring it to become a comfort item for Madeline. Settling peacefully on the blanket, a ton of snacks induced her appetite to enhance. Anyhow, something else caught her attention. Sleeping pills to enable her to obtain the slumber she had been itching for. Tearing her gaze away from the mart commodities, she smiled gratefully at the vampire, only to realize he had been staring at her with a feeling she couldn't solve.

"Stefano, you certainly are something, aren't you?" Madeline chuckled, her indistinguishable sentiment burning within her temperament. The more she felt it, the closer she got to define it.

"I try my best," he responded, smiling as he admired the girl's appreciation. "I had to replace all the snacks I ate before your dad noticed they all vanished and blamed you."

"Well, he probably already noticed, if I'm being honest." She shrugged, collecting all her new goodies and arranging them inside the pouch. Although she didn't articulate it, the vampire understood she relished the little gift because of the dimples on her face. Her smile spoke more than words.