LXVI. ᴡɪʟᴅғʟᴏᴡᴇʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴡᴀᴠᴇs

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝒎𝒂𝒈𝒊𝒄 𝒕𝒖𝒎𝒃𝒍𝒆𝒅 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒚 𝒍𝒊𝒑𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒑𝒐𝒌𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒖𝒂𝒈𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒆︎ ─𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒔𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒔𝒐𝒏

𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒑𝒐𝒌𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒖𝒂𝒈𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒆︎ ─
𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒔𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒔𝒐𝒏.❞︎

─︎ 𝒎𝒊𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒆𝒍 𝒇𝒂𝒖𝒅𝒆𝒕
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

To keep his daughter safe from himself, Alaric suggested he would remain in the basement cell of the Salvatore home, preventing the evil version of himself from ending an entire line of vampires. He couldn't put into words how much he hated having no control over his own decisions. Because of the damn ring, he was unfit to be near his daughter, his safe place. Bad days at work didn't matter because he could look forward to seeing his daughter's smile. But, in an instant, it was taken away from him all because of a stupid fucking ring.

Despite Madeline hating the image of him locked in a cell over something he couldn't control, she agreed, knowing she couldn't risk everyone's lives just to keep her father comfortable.

Regardless of all the things piling up, Stefan still had more news to tell her, adding to her stress. She could instantly tell he had something on his mind. It truly was alarming. One look at him instantly meant that she could see past his weak attempt at normalcy. When they were in his room, she questioned, "What's wrong?"

Stefan grabbed her hand and sat her down on his bed next to him, preparing her for the announcement. He had planned to tell her, of course, but it wasn't exactly something easy to say. "When you went to get the last stake, Elena came up to my room and said something."

"I don't like where this is going," Madeline muttered, waiting to see if this was something worth getting angry over. "Did she say something about you drinking human blood? If she did, I'll go speak to her right now."

"No, she said she still loved me," Stefan whispered, studying the redhead's reaction. He noticed how her brows creased. Her unsure smile contorted into a small frown. "I told her I didn't feel the same way."

Uncertain on how to respond, Madeline nodded stiffly, biting the inside of her lip. Stefan sighed. "Say something. Please."

"I'm just shocked," Madeline rambled, barely repressing the resentment that was magnifying. "Mad, yes, but mostly shocked. I mean, how am I supposed to respond to that when she's like a sister to me? Do I just — I don't know — lash out at her? Do I just give her the silent treatment? I know that most people get into physical fights over things like this, but it's not really fair since she doesn't have any super strength and whatever."