XXV. ᴡᴇʀᴇᴡᴏʟᴠᴇs ᴀɴᴅ ɪɴɴᴏᴄᴇɴᴛ ᴄʀɪᴛᴛᴇʀs

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑠𝑢𝑚𝑚𝑒𝑟𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑦 𝑤𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑒𝑟 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡

❝𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑠𝑢𝑚𝑚𝑒𝑟
𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑦 𝑤𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑒𝑟 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡.❞︎

─︎ 𝑔𝑒𝑚𝑚𝑎 𝑡𝑟𝑜𝑦
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Turns out Isobel's office at Duke might contain some research about werewolves and help their investigation. When Elena inquired if the hunter wanted to go or not, Madeline refused instantaneously. Leaving Caroline was not something she planned to do, considering she had promised to stick by her side the whole journey. Plus, excavating through her mother's work would probably bring up memories she wanted to squelch.

The unpleasant thing was the disagreement Stefan and Madeline had recently, even if it was a brief one. No matter how difficult it was, Madeline tried to avoid the vampire as much as possible, residing at Caroline's house until they could fetch her a daylight ring. Unfortunately, her avoidance would promptly end when Stefan stopped by along with Bonnie while Elena, Damon, and her father departed the town for their exploration.

"So, I don't get to choose the ring I have to wear for the rest of my life?" Caroline questioned, glancing at Maddie. It wasn't the worst ring in the world, but it certainly could have been better.

"Hey, if you don't want it ─︎," Bonnie started, her displeasure evident. Despite the blonde being her friend, the witch didn't fully agree with giving her a piece of jewelry that could lead to more deaths.

"─︎ She wants it." Madeline interrupted, slightly bothered by the witch's behavior. Relaxing on her bed, Caroline frowned at the ring that reclined in front of her, imagining how much prettier it could be. "Now what?"

"Now is the part where I explain the rules." Bonnie declared confidently, carrying her grimoire as she stood feet away from the female vampire. Madeline lounged beside Care, discounting Stefan's unrelenting stare. "The witch who spells the ring has the power to de-spell it. So, if you ever do anything to hurt anyone ─︎."

"─︎ I'm not going to hurt anyone." Caroline dismissed, finding the witch's declaration unreasonable. Still recovering from the first death she committed, she put the brakes on her approaching shudder.

"You're a vampire. That means the urge to kill is a part of who you are. The minute you let it take over, I will stop you." Bonnie explained, upholding a serious gaze.

"Bonnie, you're supposed to be my friend." Caroline countered, authentically squeamish that her old friend wasn't as supportive as she assumed she'd be.

"I can't ignore what happened, okay? Prove to me you want to be friends by showing me the Caroline I remember isn't gone." Bonnie proclaimed, causing Caroline to feel another ripple of penance. Equipping to commence her spell, Bonnie lumbered to the window as she leafed through the witch's cookbook. Opening the curtain slightly, she displayed the ring to sunshine as Caroline shuffled away, and it glimmered captivatingly. Lacking a considerable amount of chants, the spell was completed once Bonnie shut her eyes for a couple of seconds.