Sunday Service: Loving God with our Money

(12-05-2021) Ptr. Lynard Molo

*Matthew 6:19-21
"19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

=Loving God with our Money=

*Three Reasons why we should not love money:
1. Because money is not secured in earth.
*Matthew 6:19
"19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal."

*Proverbs 23:4-5
"4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
5 Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle.

2. If we give money too much importance, our heart will be in the wrong place.
*Matthew 6:21
"21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

*Matthew 19:16-22
"16 Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
17 "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."
18 "Which ones?" the man inquired. Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony.
19 honor your father and mother,' and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'"
20 "All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"
21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

+He gave money too much importance.

*1 Timothy 6:10
"10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

3. You cannot serve both God and money.
*Matthew 6:24
"24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

How should we use our money?
1. We should enjoy it as God's blessings.
*Ecclesiastes 5:19
"19 Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work--this is a gift of God."

2. We should use it to help the poor.
*1 John 3:17-18
"17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?
18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

*Luke 16:19
"9 I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings."

*Proverbs 19:17
"17 He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done.

3. We should give it back to God.
*Malachi 3:8-10
"8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' "In tithes and offerings.

+Not bringing back to God the "tithes and offerings" us robbery.

9 You are under a curse--the whole nation of you--because you are robbing me.

curse: to bring unhappiness or evil upon.

10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.