𝖍𝖊𝖗

𝖎𝖙 𝖜𝖆𝖘 𝖆 𝖈𝖔𝖑𝖉 𝖆𝖚𝖙𝖚𝖒𝖓 𝖒𝖔𝖗𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌. peter woke to his parent's footsteps filling the house. rubbing his small eyes he rose from his warm bed and tipped into the kitchen. it was very bright despite the frigid cold beyond the windows. rounding the corner, he found his mother quickly cooking breakfast and his father on the phone. peter toned out his father's voice and quickly dove into the plate of fluffy pancakes his mother set down for him. even at the age of four he was used to the busy lifestyles his parents had. and while it was sad for him at times he knew they loved him. "all right peter," his father began as he hung up the phone" dr. connors is coming over for a bit and he is bringing a friend for you." peter cocked his head to the side in confusion. "a friend?" his mother's giggle filled the room "its okay petey. she's a sweetie i promise. now finish up and go get dressed."

running down from his room he heard the knock at the door. his heart was racing anxious to meet this new "friend". he rounded the corner to see his parents and a tall, blonde-haired man. peter had met dr. connors a few times before but only for a few moments. he looked down to meet a pair of bright e/c eyes already staring at him. he saw the girl freeze and move to be more behind her father as she gripped his pants leg. chuckles filled the air at the small girl's shy nature. peter's mother held her hand out to him as dr. connors kneeled down to his height. "hello peter, i do believe we've met before." his strong english accent surprised peter as he shook the man's hand. "yes sir" he said timidly. the blonde man turned around slightly holding out his hand and slowly a small hand grasped onto it. "this is my daughter y/n. i hope the two of you can be great friends." he spoke, running a gentle hand through the girl's long h/c hair. her eyes stayed on the floor for a moment as she fiddled with her small fingers. "it's alright my darling." her father whispered pushing her towards peter just a bit. her eyes stayed down as she raised her hand out awkwardly to peter. "hi i'm y/n... it's nice to meet you." she spoke quietly. she swayed on her toes, making the yellow fabric of her dress twirl. peter slowly reached to shake the girl's soft hand. "y-you too.. i'm peter by the way.." he stuttered. a small gasp was heard from her as her eyes met his and nervous smiles spread over both children's faces.

~~~

𝖞𝖊𝖆𝖗𝖘 𝖍𝖆𝖉 𝖕𝖆𝖘𝖘𝖊𝖉 𝖘𝖎𝖓𝖈𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖎𝖗 𝖒𝖊𝖊𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖌. the two children were joined at the hip almost instantly. sleepovers at the parker's home were not unordinary, quickly becoming a tradition every weekend. and even though the two knew it would be no more than a day before they would see each other again they would always be sad to have to say goodbye. but once they were reunited they tackled each other in hugs. quite the adorable show for their parents.

it was one of those days y/n and peter was running around the parker's house playing hide and seek with his parents. the two were sitting on the stairs counting together" 3...2...1!" they were both giggling as they bolted down the stairs and began searching the house. "psst peter!" y/n whispered pointing to the shoes poking out from under the curtain. the two giggled pulling the curtain back to find a fake person made of the broom and some old dress shoes. the two huffed and continued searching, peter held y/n's hand as they entered his fathers' office. y/n gasped as she gently stepped over the papers that had been thrown everywhere. the furniture was turned over and shelves were dismantled. the little girl trembled as peter called for his father. he hugged her tightly as his father appeared shortly panic evident on his face. he scooped both children up quickly calling for his wife. she appeared as shock was evident on her pretty features. his father stuffed papers into his briefcase as his mother packed bags. "what's happening peter?" she still had tears in her eyes. the boy shrugged hugging her again.

the next thing the two knew they were at the home of peter's aunt and uncle. they were kind people y/n could tell just from the short introduction they gave her. hushed whispers filled the kitchen as the two children sat in the living room as they had been told. peter could not take it any longer he rose and stood at the entrance to the kitchen and y/n soon joined his side. she took his small hand in hers as his parents made their way to the door.his mother hugged him whispering about the things peter loves in his daily routines. she was crying...why? "y/n we've called your father he should be here in the next few hours..." peter's father said as he held her shoulder firmly as he whispered to her,"watch out for my boy." her eyes filled with tears. why were they saying these things they'd be back right? peter's mother gave both children a long hug and then just like that they were out the door.

the four hours leading to dr. connors arrival was spent in short conversations and dark expressions. but the moment the knock at the door sounded through the house y/n knew in her gut something was off. aunt may opened the door to y/n's father. he was eerily silent. he wore his usual collared shirt and dress pants with his black work shoes, but the grim look on his face is what stuck out. no one said a word as he tilted his head in acknowledgment to the family and made his way to the living room. there he turned on the television and flipped through the stations until he set it to the daily bugle news station. an image of a crashed plane was shown and a picture of peter's parents. the small girl instantly pulled her best friend into a hug as he cried. he fell to his knees and she went with him. her father's condolences were not heard by the pair they could only feel each other as they both clung to each other in tears.

Published Jan. 3, 2022

Edited Jan. 15 , 2023