𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖇𝖎𝖌 𝖆𝖕𝖕𝖑𝖊

TW⚠️: sexual assault and death

8 𝖞𝖊𝖆𝖗𝖘 𝖑𝖆𝖙𝖊𝖗. . .

𝖒𝖔𝖛𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖇𝖆𝖈𝖐 𝖎𝖓 𝖜𝖎𝖙𝖍 𝖍𝖎𝖒 𝖜𝖆𝖘 𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖛𝖎𝖇𝖊. after living with my mother for ten years just to move back in with the man who wrecked my life was not something i thought would happen to me. after the death of my father's business partner eight years ago life as i knew it took a nosedive straight to hell. my father immersed himself in his work which eventually ruined his marriage.

as for me, i went with my mother(not like a nine-year-old had much say so). we moved back to her hometown in georgia and that was my life...until two months ago. i came down with the flu so i stayed home from school and she took off work to take care of me. she went out after a few hours to get some medicine from the drug store a few blocks down. thinking nothing of it she decided to walk there saying "i just need the fresh air, ya know" smiling down at me. god that smile could have cured that stupid flu on its own. she bid me her farewells saying if i was lucky she would bring back a pint of ice cream with her, the "medicine of the gods" as she would call it. but the only thing i got was a police officer at my door. i couldn't even process what that man was saying to me. the light in my life died on the side of the road because a man couldn't keep his hands to himself...

for a month i stayed with my grandparents but they could barely afford the groceries for themselves much less me added to it. then one morning i got a call from an unknown number from new york. i ignored it for a while until my curiosity got the better of me and i just sucked it up and answered. "hello?" i asked. i could hear a small gasp on the other end. granted i already knew it was him i just didn't think he actually had the balls to call the daughter that left his life eight years ago. "y/n...darling i heard of your mother...i was dreadfully sorry to hear of the news-" i huffed interrupting his attempt at condolences "thanks, now what did you really call for?" i was shaking i didn't know if it was from anger or grief. i mean come on the man had not called once! "right um... i was made aware of your current living situation and i thought it would be good if we were able to reconnect." he was stumbling over his words like a four-year-old. seriously, he wants me to reconnect with the father i barely had. fantastic. although, i had to think of my grandparents as well. they couldn't hold up me living here much longer i was pushing it now. i felt bad for them so i swallowed my pride. "fine. when am i coming?" i could practically feel the smile on his face. "i have already sent your ticket in the mail darling. i'm truly so excited to see you again." and with that, he hung up the phone.

and so here i am hopping out of a smelly new york taxi at the doorstep of my old home. holy shit nothing has changed. i'm really not sure what to do now. rolling up to the door was as far as my plan went. ringing the doorbell gave me no answer so just like the main character of a horror movie, i opened the door. if i die so help me.

i was greeted by the same nostalgic scent the house always had. truly nothing had changed too much. the photos of our old family still hung on the walls along with the old finger paintings from my youth. ignoring the pictures of our old smiling family and i walked to the kitchen finding stacks of papers on the table and a coffee cup. it still held warm liquid so obviously, he was here. "dad?" i called out. a small crash came from down the hallway. i almost forgot about the study room. out he came stumbling down the hallway. i stood there frozen like a freaking statue. jeez, who knew eight years could hit someone so hard?

Published Jan. 10 , 2022

Edited Jan. 15 , 2023