67. Another Birthday

Nadia:

"Happy Birthday To You. Happy Birthday To You. Happy Birthday Dear.... Nadia! Happy Birthday to You."

I am not thirty yet. Not yet. I was born on the 18th of March in 1961 at 7:32 PM. That means, right now, I'm still in the womb. Not thirty yet.

In the past four years, I've always taken a day off from work on my birthday. Always. Instead of coming here, I usually spend the time with Nikki. This time, he wasn't there.

It was in the company policy to celebrate your birthday if you're in the office that day. I asked the HR if they could just let it slide and if they could just pretend that today's not my birthday. She said no. Fucking bitch! What is even the point of celebrating my birthday if I don't want to?!

I tried smiling as I pulled on the string of the birthday hat to prevent it from rubbing against my neck. They forced me to wear this as well. In fact, everyone was wearing it. Enjoying the extra five-minute break they got today in the name of my birthday.

The break room was also decorated with white and red streamers, and the balloons from yesterday's celebration were still hung along with a few newly added red balloons.

I smiled back at Shane before looking down at my birthday cake he held. It was a rectangular shaped white forest cake with cherries. Silver dragees were sprinkled on the top and my name and the message were written on a chocolate fondant in circle shape. It looked delicious.

"Okay, make a wish! Make a wish!" Kate sang excitedly, clapping her hands once the mass out of sync singing stopped.

"Made." I replied with a grin. If a fucking candle could solve my problems, I was willing to start a candle factory. It felt silly to actually make a wish before blowing out a tiny red candle.

Once I was handed the plastic green knife, the cake was cut. That made me sad. It was never like this. Every other birthday till now, it was Nikki who fed me the first piece of cake. Right now it was Evie, Kate, and some of the other girls among whom Felix forced his way in. He said he wanted to celebrate my birthday and decided to feed me some of the cake, leaving some weird lingering touches over my lips that made my stomach crawl and body turn into an ice sculpture before I politely asked what the hell he was doing? It was creepy, but he apologized before walking away. I guessed it had to do with all the people who were there.

Maybe I should quit.

But what the fuck do I do then?

"Oh my god! Why didn't anyone tell me?!" Julia said, letting out a groan while I scrubbed my lips rigorously. "That was so... EWW!!!"

"You think this is bad?" Evie chuckled. "Just have a talk with Sara. It's disgusting really."

"The receptionist?" She raised an eyebrow in surprise while Evie nodded.

"And he put me in freaking Real Estate. Can you believe that? Fucking Real Estate? Do I look like I know shit about property?!" Evie said, "Can you just take us under you? I'm begging. Hell! I can't even file my taxes properly. She does it for me!"

I nodded, turning the tap off before grabbing the tube of warm coral lipstick from my beige shaded Delvaux bag, which was a gift I got for my last birthday. From him.

Goddammit. Why does everything have to remind me of him?

"Guys, I just came here today. We'll see what we can do." Julia replied with a small smirk.

"But—"

"I said we'll see, Evelyn." She drew her lips into a tight smile.

She sighed before nodding, "Anyway, how is baby Julia?"