1. Kids From Broken Homes

September, 1977

Nadia:

My mom used to say a lot of things. Among those were her views on how every second in life precious enough to not waste it at all. Planning was her solution to it all. Plan everything. Know your destination as she would put it.

I snapped out of it thanks to the intro riff to smoke on the water that started to boom out from the speakers of my dad's 1970 Dodge Challenger as I put the keys into the ignition.

Those were my mom's words from two years back when I started highschool in Philly. I rolled my eyes, why should I think about any of these? Future, planning, ambitions, Jesus! Thinking about those things can only stress you out. It's better to just let things happen and go with the flow.

It was just last month, dad was notified about getting a transfer to this town, Lafayette, Indiana. The move was a pain in the ass. Though I've spent my whole 16 years of life moving around states and countries, a move is never easy. Especially not when you have to move almost halfway across the country to a comparatively tiny town. It's only been a week, though. Coming back home to Indiana (I was born here) wasn't all that pleasing or nostalgic. I couldn't even find Reese's cups at the local store. Apparently they were out of stock.

But with summer finally over, it was time to start my junior year. Jefferson High is the 9th school that I am gonna go to, but hey I'm alright. I'm alright... I will hopefully manage to find a crew of my own, plus dad's there with me. Also there's gonna be-

"GOOD MORNING MR. DEAL!!!"

My heart leaped against my chest cavity upon hearing the loud shriek as the door at the passenger side was pulled open. Jesus, Tommy!! I thought, as I recognized his familiar figure.

"Oh, it's you? I thought it was Mr. Deal." He shrugged with a twitch to his mouth before he shut the door.

"He's coming." I replied back, before pressing down the honk a few times, so that dad would come out. He was taking his before work cigarette break.

"It's fine. Atheena isn't ready either." Tommy said.

Tommy, Atheena and their parents lived just a few houses away from ours. They came in to pay us a visit the day we first moved in and helped us around with the stuff, being the ideal neighbors that they are. Tommy's mom was also kind enough to invite us over for dinner until we had the kitchen set up in our home, needless to say she is an amazing cook.

The whole thing also gave me the opportunity of making at least two friends before school started. Other than having a really high energy level when compared to me, Tommy and his sister were really nice and I was getting along with them.

"Where did these two idiots go?" Tommy groaned as I pressed down the horn again, starting to get impatient at dad. Is he smoking an entire pack to take this long? I thought before frowning at Tommy.

"No, not your dad. I meant Atheena and Frankie." He huffed.

Frankie was there? I thought as I bit down at my lips in an attempt to hide my smile. He was Tommy's friend. I've met him a few times over the past one week. He is nice... Yeah.

"He's coming with us?" I tried asking in the most nonchalant voice I could muster up. Keeping it casual. Dad told Tommy and Atheena's parents that he didn't mind driving us all to the school along with him as a way of thanking their parents for helping us set things up at our place.

"Uhh yeah... He stayed over last night."

Why didn't I go by his place last night? I mentally groaned. Atheena called me,asking me to come by her place, but I said I was too tired, if only I knew.