Dreams Of Yesterday-II

Nadia:

"So he's broke?" Evie looked at me with wide eyes as she kept stirring the fork into her lunch as we sat in the break room.

I nodded and watched the astonishment turn into a grin on her face.

This week had been nothing but miserable and depressing to me with everything that had gone down with Nikki. Our huge fight. Him leaving. Me going to Evie's and Kate's place. Him coming there at three in the morning drunk off his ass. It was a very colorful week. So unstabilizing and colorful.

That could've been the reason why I received a call from a paralegal I worked with in New York. The actual reason she called me was the same ol' reason everyone tries to reconnect and maintain relationships with the people they worked with. To see if there was any opening here.

Since I wasn't really involved in the recruitment side here yet, I told her I would look into it as she pretty badly needed to find a job in LA since she and her husband were moving here. But it was none of that which gave me a much-needed straphanger to hold onto and get through this week.

Jordan has gone crazy.

In the past four years, according to her, the firm's growth was a steady graph that declined. After he fired me, he took it upon himself to handle all of my old clients. Then he also fired the other senior attorneys who brought in most clients and replaced them with kids who had just passed out, reasoning that he wouldn't have to pay them too much comparatively and that he would train them. The results however weren't all that impressive.

When I started out the firm was three years old. At the time he and I worked and traveled together a lot to get our first major client. When the man agreed to invest, he asked me out officially, and unluckily for me, I accepted. Now, even that client had fired the firm thanks to his reckless dictatorship.

Apparently, he even got involved in some shady business lately that he almost got debarred. But he was fine now. Still left to deal with a failing business while also nursing a divorce.

On that front, we're in the same boat. His marriage broke and my relationship is on the fence, waiting to fall into the hands of either one of the two possibilities.

"You know how all people say only the good suffer?" She looked at me, "That's bullshit. It may take some time but everyone gets to face the consequences of the shit they do."

I hummed as I tried to force down the leftovers from last night. There was nothing good to eat. Nothing tastes good to my taste buds. In fact, they say you eat to gain energy but somehow I get tired from eating.

"Why do you seem upset?" She asked me.

I sighed before shaking my head, "You know I watched that firm grow. I was there. And honestly, if it wasn't for his bullshit that place had a lot of potentials and would have reached a lot of places. It's pathetic."

She nodded, "Well what's the point now? It's all gone now." She said, "Besides, I don't care! He deserves it. He's a dickhead!"

I laughed a little at that. It never made sense to me. How much she hated him from the very first day she saw him. I could never see that part of him. By the time I did, it was pretty late.

"How did you know?" I asked her before giving a break to the pasta and walked towards the vending machine in our break room to grab a packet of BBQ chips cos' finishing my actual lunch seemed like an impossible task. I've always had a weird relationship with food but if I was the one making it there wouldn't be any problem.

I watched her stare at me with a frown before she continued to eat her lunch. "I don't know if you remember but every time you called me or we met it was always you venting or crying about the shit he does."