Chapter 9

Jungkook pov

The SUV stopped in front of a gatehouse and then when the gates opened, it pulled up a driveway in front of a mansion. The SUV emptied, big  scary dude reached for my hand and helped me out. He gave me a little smile. Now that he'd smiled at me, he didn't look that scary. The blonde driver in the front looked little less scary but his attitude was scarier than all the other guys. He was in maybe his mid-20's, and while he was good-looking, wearing an expensive suit, he looked pissed off and impatient. He seemed like the one in charge.

I got out of the SUV, blond angry hot guy motioned for me to follow him

I got out of the SUV, blond angry hot guy motioned for me to follow him. I did, wondering what the heck I was walking into here. I was on a gated property with several big scary guys and I'd bet money they all carried guns. The blond guy led me through a big foyer into a room down a long hallway and knocked on a door.

"Come in," A man answered from the other side.

The blond guy opened the door and signaled for me to walk ahead of him. My heart felt like it was in my throat.

I was inside a large office and a man was behind a desk. He had salt and pepper hair and light brown eyes and looked handsome for his age. He wore a suit. He looked more businessman or hot shot lawyer than mobster.

A guy in a mansion with all these thugs or whatever was buying debts from bookies? It didn't add up. How big could Dad's debt actually be? Who would front him more than a few hundred dollars on a poker game, knowing he wasn't capable of earning more than the minimum wage?

"Jungkook, I'm Kim Baekhyun. Please sit." He motioned for a chair in front of his desk.

I sat. His name sounded familiar. His face sort of seemed familiar, too.

"Aren't you lovely? You graduated high school today, I hear? Congratulations."

I stared at him. Words won't form on my lips.

He narrowed his gaze at me, "No need to be rude."

I shook my head, "I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just a bit overwhelmed. Thank you, for the congrats."

He nodded, "Jimin, get a bottle of water for Jungkook." Angry hot blond guy nodded and left the room.

"So, I take it your father filled you in? Why don't you tell me what he said to you? He used to have an unfortunate habit of leaving out important facts. Maybe He still does."

Boy, did I know that.

Blond guy returned with a bottle of water and handed it to me, then left the office.

"Umm thanks," I took a sip, "I haven't seen much of my father in years. He turned up today at my high school graduation and then told me I had to be a marker for a few days so he could get money together to clear up a gambling debt?"

Kim Baekhyun laughed, "Interesting spin."

My heart plummeted.

"Isn't that the truth?" I asked, starting to tremble.

"Not exactly. Your father owes me a rather large debt, one I'm not sure he can ever actually repay." He looked at me expectantly.

"Why am I here, then?"

"Let's say you've been drafted." he smirked.

Huh?

"My son Taehyung needs to get married. He hasn't found anyone yet. Your Father owes me a great deal. I've agreed to consider writing off the debt if my son decides you're the one."

I started to laugh, "Am I being punk'd?"

"Excuse me?" he asked and I knew, then, that he was serious.

"I don't understand...". I was white-knuckled,gripping the arms of the chair I sat in.

"Simple, really. As of now you are property of the Kim family."

If my chin wasn't touching the floor right now, it must be awfully close. Had I been transported back to the dark ages? I didn't know what to say.

"So, I've arranged for you to be transported to Taehyung's home. There you two can get acquainted and see if this is an amicable arrangement for him."

For him? For him?

"What?" I can't fathom this, "No." Don't I have to agree to this? I don't agree to this.

He raised his index finger and his eyes narrowed."Listen carefully. This meeting, the one between you and my son, if it doesn't go well it won't bode well for your father and it may not bode well for you, either. We have many options available for where you could go. I think you'd prefer ending up with my son over the alternatives. We're a wealthy and powerful family so you could be in a much worse position, believe me. I'd advise you to cooperate. You're in an enviable position, Jungkook. I'll be seeing you soon. Taehyung's brother will drive you. Jimin!"

Enviable? Was this man whacked in the head?

The door opened and Jimin popped his head in.

"Take Jungkook to your brother. Jungkook, don't be difficult. I wouldn't advise it. It was nice to see you again. You've grown up to be a lovely boy. An almost dead ringer for your mother." He gave me a big smile. My blood ran cold.

My mother? This man knew my mother? See me again? When had he seen me before? This man was scary. The brother was scary. Their thugs or whatever they were --- really scary. Was I in the middle of the fricking dark ages or what? An arranged marriage to a mafia king's son to save my father's life? This was nuts! If I was asleep I wanted to wake up right now!

Jimin led me back to the SUV and two of the other guys got in, too. One had apparently opted out of this leg of the drive. They thought they needed muscle to get me from point A to point B, evidently. Were they afraid I'd try to run? I didn't know what the heck I was dealing with here so no, I wasn't about to run now before sussing things out. I didn't want to end up dead. I didn't want Dad to end up dead. Did Dad really sell me out like this? I mean, he was a lousy father,for sure, but did he really sell me to the mafia in exchange for payment of his old gambling debts?

Not a marker.

Not temporarily.

Sold.

Married off.

No way. He was capable of a lot but this? Surely not. This is 21st century. This kind of stuff didn't happen.

I combed through my memory. The name Kim rang bells. Was he known in the city as a mafia guy? Where had I heard his name from? I stayed somewhat up to speed on current events and his name and face was familiar but I couldn't place it.

What might've been about ten minutes later the SUV was pulling up in front of another set of gates. The drive had been quiet.

"Wait here." Jimin told me and then after getting past the gate and then he walked into the house alone. There was an awkward silence in the car.

Suddenly, my phone started ringing.

"Hand it over," one of the guy said gruffly and I knew he meant business.I took my cell phone out and handed it to him.