Chapter 57

Jungkook pov

I baked a glazed lemon Bundt cake to bring to the dinner and had it ready when Namjoon knocked on the front door. 

No one had been wandering around inside the house since we'd been back from Vegas. I knew they used the staff quarters but the hall door off the kitchen was left locked. Taehyung had said they had keys for emergencies but had been instructed to give us our privacy. Earlier that day I'd gotten Namjoon to get me the ingredients at the store per Taehyung's instructions if I needed anything.He carried the cake to the car and drove me the short drive to Mr Kim's.

It was a short drive, thankfully, so our awkward efforts at small talk didn't have to last too long. I plastered a smile on my face as I went inside because the first person I laid my eyes on was Tae's father.

He was standing in the doorway ready to greet us, "What's this?" He smiled at me but his smile twitched almost nervously as he eyed the cake in my hands.

"Lemon Bundt cake," I said with a sweet smile.

His expression dropped. This was my mother's recipe. Clearly by his reaction he'd had it before. It was the only thing she cooked that didn't make the person eating it look for the nearest dog or potted plant (some dogs had even looked for potted plants!) and she'd made it for every occasion. 

"You don't like lemon cake?" I asked innocently, a mask firmly in place.

He was pale for a split second and then seemed to recover, "Can't wait to try it. Sounds great. Take it to the kitchen, others are in there."

He kissed my cheek as I passed him. They were in fine form. Jisoo was the size of a ranch style bungalow and eating cheese as Jin shredded it on top of garlic bread. Lisa was chopping cucumbers.

"How can I help?" I asked as I stepped in.

They all looked genuinely pleased to see me and bombarded me with,"How was Vegas?"

"What have you two been hiding out or something?"

"We have to get on with planning this wedding."

I helped Lisa with the salad and then helped Jin set the table. We (except Jisoo) drank a bottle and a half of wine together before Tae and Jimin arrived, which I was thinking was a good idea since I was in need of some liquid courage being around Kim Baekhyun. 

Baekhyun, Namjoon, and Bambam sat in the family room with all four kids. There was a debate over what they'd all watch. Disney movie or some rugby game. Finally Baekhyun settled the "big kids" down by putting the Disney video on the big screen and giving the Dads a tablet to watch together for their game. 

Tae and Jimin turned up together, just as the food was being put out. Tae swept me into his arms and gave me a very long wet kiss in front of his whole family. They all looked a bit gob smacked so I guessed they hadn't seen this type of behavior out of him before. 

Truthfully, I was, too. Last night he didn't want to even touch me as we went to sleep.He was sweet, attentive, and affectionate with me during the meal. The meal was nice. Everything was light and happy. 

Tae didn't seem at all awkward with his father. I felt awkward but tried to push it away.When dessert was served, Jin, Lisa, and Bambam were all going on and on about my cake. 

When Tae's father was served a piece he stared at it for a long time before taking a bite. I tried not to look at him while he tasted it. I tried. But I couldn't help it. His eyes, as he chewed, went far away for a second. Then he caught me looking and our eyes locked and fuck but I think he knew. I think he knew right then and there that I'd made that cake knowing something about their past.