Chapter 23

Taehyung pov

This was going to be a fun experiment. I'd get to see what he was capable of.

Now he seemed like he was trying to mentally prepare himself for his acting role. We sat in the car for a few minutes while I checked my voicemail messages and then I got out of the car . I held an index finger up, signaling him to wait while I walked around and opened the door for him. He got out of the car and looked up at me. He flashed a smile at me.I kissed him on the temple and we walked inside.

The manager greeted me excitedly, "Mr.Kim, so nice to see you!"

"Minho, this is Jungkook, my fiance."

He lamented for 20-30 seconds about how gorgeous Jungkook was and how nice it was to meet him. Yeah, he was but Minho was looking at him too much for my liking. I gave him a look.He pulled himself together and  led us to a table and immediately brought over a bottle of red wine and poured glasses for us.When he was gone, I leaned over and reached for Jungkook's hand and skimmed my thumb across his knuckles. He didn't pull away and his face revealed nothing but a warm looking smile. I returned the smile, gave him a look that showed I was pleased with him.

~~~~~~~~~~

Jungkook pov

We were sitting across the table from one another, And I'd decided to try to pretend that I was on a date with the guy from the ice cream parlor.

I figured it'd be the only way I could pretend to be happy or even open-minded about being in his company. I couldn't pretend like I was happy to be sitting here with Kim Taehyung, the guy who had done all those awful things to me, so I tried, instead, to rewind the clock in my head and pretend that the handsome man from the ice cream parlor hadn't morphed into the sadistic criminal .

"Mind if I order for you?" he asked me, caressing the back of my hand with his
thumb. There was light in his eyes, not darkness, making it easier for me to pretend.

"Sure," I said.

He nodded, then he gave our order to the waiter.

"I heard you're half Italian. You speak it?" he asked after the order was taken."No, my Mom was Italian but she never taught me. She only spoke it in the house when she was yelling at my Dad or using it to keep some secret from me talking on the phone or whatever. We never understood her but knew when she spoke Italian someone was either about to get something good or get in trouble,"I laughed a little, and then I knew my face sobered, thinking about her, about My Dad.

"I ordered us Jajangmyeon . The Jajangmyeon here is to die for." Taehyung tried to change the subject, "The only  Jajangmyeon better was my mother's. She never passed the recipe on before she died but my brother Jin does pretty good."

"I think my Mom was the only woman who couldn't cook at all," I said, smiling, but Dad could cook. Between my Dad and Rose, I'd learned to cook, too. Dad had shown me how to make meals seemingly from nothing.

The waiter brought our order. It smelled mouthwatering and for the first time in days I was actually hungry. It all tasted as good as it smelled, "Oh, this is so good!" I exclaimed and Taehyung looked happy. He kind of smiled like ice cream parlor guy, looking insanely attractive. He wore jeans but with a black button down dress shirt today under a blazer and the top few buttons were down and I could see a little of his chest. There was a thick silver chain on his neck with a crucifix of about 2 inches long on it. I felt a pang in my gut, reminding me that it was just wishful thinking that this wasn't what I was pretending it was, that this wasn't a real date with that guy that I'd daydreamed about. After it was over he wouldn't walk me to my door at my new apartment and kiss me goodnight before we'd go our separate ways. If only. If only after tonight I could dream about our second date. I'd call my friends and we'd talk about the date for hours. If only...