5| LUCK

By the time I got home I met my mum waiting outside with a belt in one hand and the other hand on her chin tapping her legs on the floor and I don't need anybody to tell me I'm in trouble and there is one thing I hate doing which is lying I knew I'll have no choice than to tell her the truth which I know will put me in serious trouble. I slowed down my walking pace till I got to my mum. I knelt down to greet her "mama good evening".

"And may the mouth which you just used to greet me go dumb". She said pointing the belt at me

"Madam where are you coming ?from you closed from school 3:30 ehn and you're just strolling into my house at 7:15 you're not even afraid". I just stood there looking at the floor because I can't even dare look her in the face if not I'll be in more trouble

"Mama it's not like that ma, my friend was sick and he couldn't come to school so I went to check up on him". She stood up immediately readjusting her wrapper and head tie

"Tanimola you went to a boys house since 3:30 ehn you this good for nothing child you went to a boy's house " she put me between her legs and started blowing my back I shouted, I pleaded as I also kept telling her nothing happened soon my dad came out

"Iya yi(this woman) why are you hitting this innocent child like this what on earth has she done this time ehn." My dad asked.

"I know you'll support this mistake of a child she went to a man's house Dapo what do you want to say to that ehn". She said stretching her head forward as she clap her hands together. She only calls my dad Dapo when she's ready to 'kill'.

"Tanimola is it true you went to a man's house". He asked, my mum looked shocked by that question she held up her hand as a sign for me to hold on

"Wait, wait Dapo so you don't believe me why will I lie against my own daughter?". She asked wahoo she called me 'daughter'

"So now she's your daughter (hiss) please I want to hear from the horse's mouth."

"Yes daddy Richard was sick and couldn't come to school so I went to his house he begged me to play with him and also teach him somethings before I left his place I didn't know time has gone I'm sorry sir you can ask madam Bridget nothing happened dad I swear we were in the sitting room through out " I said still on my knees.

"I believe you but next time ehn come home first take permission then you'll go to your friends house stand up". Immediately he said this my mum stood beside me giving me the 'if you try it' look.

" I'm disappointed in you Dapo I'm very disappointed but you see this fool I'm not done with her". My father laughed and shook his head

"I pity how you people treat this girl in this house I know I don't pay her bills but still I don't hurt her wit my actions. The children I expect you to be shouting at are those useless children of yours that throws themselves at men". I knew at this point fight is about to start so I held my bag tight ready to run inside at the slightest chance.
My mum already locked my dad's shirt

"Dapo you call my children useless ehn, ehn Dapo" she laughs evilly while shaking her head.

"Are you not the useless husband you don't do anything in this house it's only my food you know how to eat and steal out of the money I make from my buka shameless man" she continued raining abusive words on him and I seized the opportunity I ran straight into my room.

I tried catching my breath I know if my dad was not at home I'll have bruises on my body right now and it would have been from that belt. My dad may not be performing his fatherly duties but the fact that at least he still believes in me makes me happy. I need to start looking for how I'll get jobs to work for people so I can save up money for my registration I've never asked for financial help from Richard and I'll like it to remain that way I don't want to bother him with my problem. I decided to go in search of menial jobs tomorrow morning. Thank God tomorrow is Saturday people will need help on their farm land.

*********

The cock crow woke me up. I said my prayers and did my chores then later I went to the buka to sweep as I was sweeping I tried sweeping under the cupboard there and the broom swept out money I picked it up and saw It was up to the money I could use to settle my registration. I was trying to decide on wether I should give my mum or I use it to settle my fee.

But I can't steal it no I'll never do that so I kept it where she kept it I don't know why she'll keep the money there in the first place. Soon I was done with everything I picked my hoe and cutlass and went straight to chief Ajayi's house he's one of the major people I work with and he pays well too. I knocked at his door fortunately he was also stepping out .

"Good morning sir" I knelt down to greet him.

"Tanimola bawo ni(how are you)" he asked while patting my back.

"I'm fine thank you sir. Sir I want to help you arrange your barn and clear your farm land I need money for registration."

He raised his eyebrow and said"My child the farm land is cleared but you can arrange the barn and how much is your registration fee self".

"Sir it's 5000 naira". He looked at me shocked.

"Just 5000, Tanimola your mother makes more than that in a day ehn I wonder why they've left an intelligent girl like you to fend for herself. Hmmm I pray they come back to their senses fast". He said while shaking his head

"Don't worry ehn I'll give you the 5000 but you'll promise me to read well and get that scholarship ehn". He said

I was so happy I couldn't contain my joy I knelt down on my two knees immediately and said "Thank you very much sir and I promise I'll get that scholarship ahhh God bless you sir, you'll never lack , you'll..."
He didn't let me finish my prayers.

"Tanimola it's ok ehn and amen to your prayers you are a very good child sometimes I wish you were mine may God grant you more knowledge and understanding my dear".

We went to the farm and I arranged his barn for him and truly he gave me the money he promised I cried as I kept saying thank you to him he hugged me and said it's ok. My joy knew no bound I'm sure I'm the happiest person on earth right now. I went straight home and hid the money well where nobody will see it. Then later went to join my mum at the 'buka'.......

A/N_ I hope you're enjoying this piece ☺️
Love, Chloe 🥰🥰🤍