34| BIRTHDAY

It's been three days since I left Lagos and my sister has not called or asked after me, what if I was kidnapped or even dead also nobody from my family called well I'm not sure she has told them anything though.

As for Beauty, she was looking for an apartment to rent until we went to greet Chief Ajayi and I introduced her to him as my friend the two of them got along very fast and he made her an offer to stay in his house and he'll be settling all her bills.

I'm sure that day was the happiest day of her life since her parents died. If she had rented an apartment I'm sure at the end of every year she'll be looking for how to settle landlord and trust me when I say the landlords here only wants their money and no story.

"TM" Richard knocked at my room door and called my name.

"Yes I'm coming" I answered

I opened the door for him and he came in with his hands at his back showing that he's hiding something.

"What is that" I asked trying to hold his hand and check what is there but he didn't let me.

"Omo person no fit surprise you in peace, you go dey do like witch" he said in pidgin

"Whatever so what's the surprise and why did you get me something self, today is not a special day is it" I asked.

"Today is July 30" he said and I was shocked, today is my birthday

"I never knew today's date is 30th I thought today is 28" I said

"See your life well I no blame you e don tey since you go school last" and I couldn't hold back my laughter.

"Awwwwwww, as usual the first person to wish me" I said

"I think I deserve a hug and kiss for that" he said stretching out his hands and pouted his lips, I laughed and hugged him and pecked him.

"Are you not the sweetest best friend and boyfriend alive" I asked rhetorically but he answered

"Of course I am, my kind rare" he said.

He stretched out the small box he was hiding to me

"Open it" and when I did I was stunned

"Babe this is so beautiful" I said

"Don't ask for the price cos I won't tell you" he said

"Why na" I whined

"Kilo kan e" he asked in Yoruba meaning what's my business.

"But really babe thank you, thank you so much"

"E don do, oya let's go downstairs" he said

When we got downstairs I saw MR &MRS COKER smiling at me as I walked down the stairs, madam Bridget was there with a very beautiful cake in her hand. As soon as I got down finally they all sang the happy birthday song for me.

I was so happy that I had tears coming out of my eyes madam Bridget gently put the cake on the dining before coming to me and hugging me tight.

"You know you shouldn't cry on a happy day like this right, it's a day of happiness it's world Tanimola's day" she said holding my cheeks and wiping my tears with her thumb.

Someone knocked at the door so madam Bridget had to go answer the door. For the person to have passed through the gate and is now knocking at the door then the person is someone close.

"Ta daaaaa, happy birthday baby" said Beauty as she made a dramatic entrance.

I can't remember telling her when my birthday is but how will everybody remember it's my birthday and I myself forgot completely.

"You look so surprised" she said pointing and laughing at me I've never see her in such high spirit.

"I'm surprised you know today is my birthday because I know I never told you, that's by the way but thank you baby". I said and hugged her.

Richard laughed at us and said "two dwarfs"  we decided it's better we jus keep mute.

"Tanimola don't mind him but happy birthday darling" Mrs Coker said

"Thank you so much ma" I said and knelt down.

"Orrhhh stand up jorrh, you are also our child and you know that, so keep the thank you and I'll take you shopping ehn"

I couldn't have asked for more, it may hurt that my own blood's forsaken me but I'm very grateful for this sweet people that surrounds me

"Thank you ma, I really appreciate you and daddy for everything you've done for me, for treating me like your child, making me feel what true family and true love feels like I'm really greatful"

"Tanimola it's ok o, please o everybody should sit I want to tell you all a story you've never heard about the first time I saw Tanimola". Mr Coker said and everyone including me sat down.

"So on this fateful day I was taking a walk, then I saw this beautiful small child playing with sand outside the compound and I wondered what the small child was doing all alone in this bad environment"

"Instead of me to continue going on my own o, o branched to meet this little beautiful young girl in an oversized round neck top .I walked closer to the child o and then I tapped her and do you all know what she said that day I don't think I'll ever forget" he said 

And now I slightly remember I was in primary 2 as at then, yh I was friends with Richard but I didn't see his parents. This was what I said on that fateful day.

"Sir, you look like a good person do you know my dad because they keep calling me bastard" he said.

"You see that word got me angry and it was
obvious that she's not well taking care of. And I promised that I'll keep helping you".

"So note , everyone loves, cherish and adore you heres cos you are a GEM very rare to find." He said and hugged me.