Chapter 2: Keep Breathing

The school had white marble floors. The orange tints from the dimming lights bounced off the walls and made them look red. Blue lockers lined the insides of the doors. A trophy case showcased the school’s achievements in the front hall. “So where did you say you were from?” Keene asks me.

“Ashland.” I reply, trying to keep myself from tripping. Clumsiness must not be hereditary. My mom could walk into the room so gracefully, she made ballerinas jealous. I loved staring at his beautiful, chisled face. He made me laugh and smile like I’d never been crushed.

Without any warning, I felt an emense pressure push into the middle of my stomach.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry.” A voice says. I’d realized that someone had walked their books into me.

At least I wasn’t invisable anymore. “It’s…fine.” I choke.

“Are you ok?” Keene says placing a comforting hand on my back.

“Yep.” I say bent over in an arch clutching my stomach trying to keep breathing through the pain.

I finally manage to keep steady my stomach and stand back up in a normal position.

The girl who had just ran into me- or that I had just ran into- stood looking at me with concered eyes. Her wavy black hair framed her pretty face.

“Wait… Kamie?” She says.

I nod. “It’s me, Jillian.” She smiles.

“Jill? You look…hot!” I laugh. She glances down to the ground slightly pointing out her incredibly thin figure.

The last time I saw her she had cut her hair short and had it as straight as a stick. And her face still had some round, childlike chubbiness to it. But, now her cheekbones were more prominate and showcased with a swipe of pink blush. Keene nudges me with his elbow. “Oh, Jill… this is Keene. Keene, this is Jillian, my best friend from Ashland.” I smile. They both extend their arms and shake hands.

“What are you doing here?” I ask her.

“My dad got a job.” She says, showing her brilliant teeth.

“Ok, well, I have to go class.” She says.

“Bye.” Keene and I smile.

                                  ________

“So, I’m guessing that you’re dad was all freaked out about you being a senior this year, too?” Keene asks as we walk through the purple carpeted library. The walls were brown. As you walked in you thought it you were in a chocolate box.

“Actually…” I hold back the tears, “my dad passed away two years ago.” It was a sore subject, like a bruise. It was still arduous to me, and if pressed, I could lose my santity.

“Oh… my god. I’m sorry. That was completley out of line.”

“No, no it’s fine.”

“No, it’s not, I can tell by the expression on your face.” He says.

I can’t help but remember the night it happened.