Chapter 3: Death and All His Friends

It was a windy May night; my birthday. Dad and I were on the way to my party-which I wasn’t supposed to know about- in which I was required to wear a white strapless gown that mom and I had picked out, I had a much better realationship with her back then. One in which we discussed boys, marriage, sex, or whatever we felt like… with no judgement.

Dad and I were in the car, driving to the convienience store. His old 2009 Ford Falcon was warm inside, and smelled of peppermint. Dad’s friends would smoke in his car and he hated the smell of Nicotine, I did too. He aired out the car by opening all the windows, and hanging candy canes over the vents while blowing the air conditioner full blast.

“Will you tell me where we’re going, now?” I say, lying. I knew we were going to my 15th birthday party. I knew all my friends- Jill, Shayla, and Teddy- would be there.

“You already know.” He smiles smugly.                

“Well, it really wasn’t that hard to figure out, dad. I mean, you’re a terrible actor.” I laugh.

He laughs with me. “First, we have to buy some pop. That’s the one thing I forgot… and well, your present.”

“My present?!” I say with fake shock.

“Yes, I was thinking…a bag of frozen peas, and a box of tissues.” He joked.

“Really?” I giggle sarcastically. “I’ll remeber that next Father’s Day.”

“Can’t wait.” He responds sneeringly. I couldn’t help but smile.

“Kam, I want to tell you something.” Dad says, his eyes on the road and hands on ten and two, just like they always were. He was always a guarded driver.

 “What, dad?”

“I love you, more than the sun shines. I’ll always protect you, and stand up for you when you’re down. And never leave your side.” He says, looking at me this time.

“Wow. Thanks, dad.” I was a bit caught off guard.

“Why are you telling me this?”

“Uh, I lost my partner today.”

Dad was an officer at the local police station.

“Oh, dad! I’m so sorry!” I exclaim, wrapping my arms around his shoulders.

“It’s fine, honey. Thanks.” He says, gently moving my arms off of him.

“But, you never know when your last moment will be. And I intend on celebrating the good ones. So, I love you.” He says, smiling.

“I love you more.” I say, returning it.

Before I knew it, we were turning into the parking lot.

“So, you stay in here, and I will be right back, I promise.” He says.

“Ok, dad.” I agree.

Dad walked away. I sat in the car, going through the CDs he had. I saw Journey, Foreigner, Queen, Bon Jovi, and U2. I watched the minutes tick by. Fifteen, twenty, and then thirty.

Something must be wrong. Dad said “I will be right back, I promise.”

I unbuckled my seatbelt and began sauntering towards the door.

 The stars weren’t out that night. There wasn’t a moon. It seemed like the whole world was dark, like the sky was in a crepusclular stage that was shatterproof. The world felt lifeless and dormant.