Chapter 37: All I've Ever Needed

Chapter 37: All I’ve Ever Needed

Kamie

Two Months Pregnant-

Mom insisted that she stand with us up until the day the baby was born. Great; this ought to be fun. Keene asked me how I was feeling literally every five seconds. My stomach was still the same size… somewhat. Teddy and Jill supposedly advanced in their relationship and wanted to prove it by making out anywhere and everywhere; it seemed everyone was more excited about this baby than I was. That made me feel awful.

Guilt. Sadness. Anger. That’s how it always seemed to go with me; everything made me feel about two inches tall.  I felt the effects of pregnancy; vomiting, headaches, mood swings, of course the cravings. I just wanted things to be better.

4 Months Pregnant-

I still felt miserable. Keene had convinced himself that he had everything he would ever need once the baby was born. I started to grow fonder of my always-growing-in-size baby bump, but the guilt still hammered me.

Apparently, my friends enjoyed spilling their guts to me; Jill and Teddy often ran to me to complain about each other.

Being pregnant wasn’t fun. I just sat around all day feeling fat and watched Grey’s Anatomy.

With nothing else to do, I drifted off on the couch.

                                   ____________

I was walking hand-in-hand with Keene through a forest, the sunlight brightly spotting through the trees. He smiled at me. I wasn’t pregnant right now.

We walked through the line of trees into a grassy clearing. For some odd reason, I was angry.

“You’re pretty when you’re mad.” Keene stated.

“Then I must be breath taking because I’m furious.” I stated.

Keene laughed, wrapping his arms around me from behind, “He’ll be here.”

“But, he’s fifteen minutes late.”

“Kam, he’ll be here.

I turned, holding the sides of his face in my hands. My black sweater didn’t smother me in the sun like it would’ve in reality.

“I’ll need you, forever.” I said, my lips moving into his. I smiled against his skin, and held my palm to his chest.

“Ahem.” A voice chokes. I spun around quickly.

My heart leaped in my chest, “Dad!!” I shouted. I buoyantly cantered to him. I enveloped him in a warm embrace.

I pealed away from him, and grabbed Keene’s arm.

“This is Keene, dad.” I smiled.

He extended his hand out; Keene took it and they shook.

Dad scrunched his face, “Let’s see what kind of guy you are. Red Sox or Yankees?”

Keene repiled, “Red Sox.”

“Jets or Giants?”

“Giants.”

“Knicks or Celtics?”

“Celtics.”

“Van Halen or Pink Floyd?”

“Van Halen.”

“Shakira or Eva Longoria?”

“Shakira.”

“Alright. Final question.”

Keene nodded.

“Who would win in a fight? Iron Man or Batman?”

Keene sighed, deep in thought. “Well, even though I love Iron Man…. Bruce Wayne just has more of a thought process and well planned strategy than Tony Stark. Even though Tony could throw a few snarky comments; Batman is just a good thinker, even though Tony Stark does have the weapons to destroy a large army.”

Dad stood with his mouth wide open. I looked at Keene with pride.

“Well… that’s…. Wow.” He smiled.

Dad pulled me closer, “He’s a keeper.”

And I started to hear the clamer of the living room.

“Kam, you’re okay. Everything, everyone… is okay. Please, stop worrying, Babydoll. I promise you that even though it looks like a tornado now, there is a rainbow coming. I love you.”

                                        __________

Shit. No dad, come back! Please. My face was already dripping with the liquid sadness that ran from my eyes.

“Hey, hey. What’s the matter?” A soft voice asked.

I recognized it immediatley; Teddy.

I sat up, lying on his chest.

“Did you have a bad dream?”

I nuzzled my face into his cheek. “No. I had a good dream, a really really good dream.”