Chapter 18: The Lonely

                                       March

                                        April

I felt nothing. There wasn’t pain anymore; I’d lost that in March, now it was just dull nothingness. Keene wasn’t at school for two months.

My empty chest seemed to be the only reminder that he was real. I was always in denial. Denying was better than realizing… realizing that I’d been left to bleed and burn, alone.

I didn’t eat, or sleep. I barely even breathed. My chest hurt so bad that I didn’t imagine it could get worse.

I am a shell.

I’m the ghost of a girl I used to be, but she’s gone now.

The hole in my chest grew wider with each reminder of him. The empty couch, his vacant desk, the ticket stub from our first date… stabbed me in the stomach.

                                     _______________

I sat in literal silence, staring at the wall, letting the tears fall automatically for two months.

During the silence, my cell phone was the only connection to the world; I never touched it.

Sometimes, it rang, I never noticed untill April. An unfirmiliar number called me one day.

“Hello?” I say lifelessley.

“Kamie?” A guy asks. I immediatley recognized the voice; the hole started to repair itself, even though the healed place was very miniscule.

“Teddy?” I ask, some life beginning to build back into my voice.

“Hey, babe.” He responds. That’s what he always called me.

Teddy was my only guy friend, but he was more than that. He was a brother. I loved him. My brain flashed back to my fondest memory of him.

Dad’s funeral was outside. Mom insisted that dad loved the outdoors, but we all knew he hated them.

               ___________________________________

“We all know that Holden was a great man, and was also very innocent.” The minister said.

You don’t know him. You’ll never know him. I hate you.

“He died happily with his daughter next to him.”                 

He wasn’t happy, he’d just been shot you idiot!

My eyes leaked uncontrolably. I felt Teddy’s hand in mine.

“It’s okay.” He smiled through tears. No, it’s not Teddy.

“He was a very hateful man though.” He chuckled. I knew he was joking, but who the hell jokes at someone’s damn funeral?

Without noticing, I started running. I ran through trees, jumped over logs and tried to escape everything. The memories came flooding to me. “I love you more.” It rang through my head.

I felt my knees buckle under the dolor. I pulled the grass in closer, muffling my own violent screaming.

I cried harder than I thought possible.

“Shh, Kam. It’s okay.” Teddy says, somehow bent over top of me, panting heavily.

He scooped me up into his muscular chest, holding me there while I bawled. “Shh. It’s ok.” He kept repeating through his own tears.