Chapter 44: Safe

A/N: TOTALLY FORGOT THIS CHAPTER! THE MOST EPIC OF FACE PALMS.

Chapter 44: Safe

Tyler’s message was clear: we were all in danger whether we liked it or not. The kids couldn’t come with us to North Carolina, and we were going to have to fight.

“Daddy, where are we going?” Holden asked Keene as we got the kids ready.

Our plan was understood, we were taking the kids to stay with Jill and Teddy where they’d be safe until we came back-if we came back…. I couldn’t let my mind drift there.

Keene looked to me for help.

“You’re gonna go stay with Aunt Jilly and Uncle Teddy.”

“Are you coming?” Chase asked.

I blew out a deep breath.

“No, baby.” Keene finished for me.

“Why not, Daddy?”

We looked at each other, neither of us could answer.

“It doesn’t matter,” I said finally, “because Mommy and Daddy will always be where you are.”

“How?” They asked at the same time.

I grabbed their hands, and kissed each of their palms, Keene did the same, and then clenched their fingers into a fist.

“Anytime you need us, we’re here.”

               ______________________________________

Chase,

When you read this, I hope it’s because we are bored and have nothing to do, not  because you’ve lost your parents. Your father and I are going away to protect you,that’s all you need to know. I know Jillian and Teddy will take good care of you. I don’t know if we’ll be back. But just know that if I die, I was still me, and I died fighting for what I love. I’ll always be there.

-Mom

I handed Chase and Holden’s suitcase to Jill.

They were reluctant to let go of our hands.

“Come on guys, you want some pizza?!” Jill shouted to them with fake enthusiasm.

“Yeah!” They shouted simaltaneously.

Not knowing whether or not I would see anyone I loved ever again… I couldn’t live with that.

Chase looked at me before she turned to go inside, “I love you, Momma.”

 And then she turned. “I love you…too.”I whispered.

Teddy joined Jill in the doorway.

“Take care of my kids.” I told Jill.

She pulled me in, “Don’t worry about them. You better come back, alright?”

I nodded.

As she went to hug Keene, I grabbed Teddy. “I love you, Teddy,” The tears stung my eyes.  His arms pulled me closer, his voice broke, “I love you, Kamie.”

There was nothing else to say.

I hugged him tighter once more, then pulled away.

Keene and I locked hands and walked back to the car, not knowing what was coming next.