Chapter 19: Hearing Damage

There were only 11 days until May, 11th; my birthday. Teddy had somewhat fixed my hollow chest, but the hurt never really went away. Believe it or not, the kiss was almost a healer, but not really.

I sat in my room while he was busy; that was rare. Nothing ever felt better than; I wish I did.

I felt like running, running until my legs burst, until any problems I had were dead, but that wouldn’t do any good; they’d find me somewhere.

I had to distract myself before I did something rash or stupid. The internet might get my mind off of things.

As I open the top of my laptop, I see the firmiliar image of Keene and me holding hands. Jillian had taken the picture while we were on a school trip to the science museum.

 I looked closely at our hands, which were intertwined. That day was so memorable. But now, Keene was miles away in a hospital with his dad, or I don’t know… dead.

It felt as through the nearly fixed hole was replaced by another one that had been punched into my chest. I saw the happiness we’d enjoyed. But now it’d been thrown back in my face with the realization that I might not see him again… ever.

Just then I heard my mom’s voice calling me. I gazed at the picture again. Fresh tears fell down my face.

“Coming, mom!” I shout, my voice breaking.

I walked downstairs, hoping to seek comfort from the only person I had left.

“Mom…” I began, reaching the table.

“There you are! I’ve been yelling your name seventy-five thousand times. You were stupid enough to forget to take out the trash again.” She put air quotes around forgot. I want to scream as loud as I possibly can.

I bit my tongue to keep from irrupting. Instead I stood and waited for more fire.

A tear rolled down my face. “Oh my god, are you gonna cry now?! It’s just the trash!”

My chest felt like it was going to explode.

“Now go!” She says, pointing towards the door.

I dragged my limp body to the closet and slid on my jacket and carried the trash out. The cold air hit me like a bucket of ice water, but I didn’t care on bit.

I step out of the doorway. I look over to the trash can. Then to the forest. It was calling me, telling me that was my one chance to get out of here.

I’ve gotta get out, I can’t stay here.

I look over to the trash can again. The forest urked me.

Okay, go, Run!

 I dropped the trash bag. Without another thought, my legs were moving.

Even though I wasn’t positive about where I was going, I looked back. Goodbye pain. Goodbye sadness. Goodbye life.

The green bushes were dizzled with dew. The night sky made the foilage look dark like tar.

With no recognition of my surroundings, I tripped over an uprooted plant and fell onto my stomach. My head told me to get up, but I couldn’t.

My eyes drifted shut; I reached over to grab something to pull myself up with, but all I felt was moss.

Light shaded my shut eyelids; I couldn’t open them. The sadness crushed my ribs.

“Kamie?” An angelic voice called. I instantaneously recongnized it and my heart was beating once again. There was no hole anymore, no damage was done. The pain was somewhat there, but I was fine with it. He was back. Keene was back.