Chapter 7: Love Song

___________________________

Chapter 7: Love Song

I was beyond embarrased. I was shamed. I wanted to be dead.

Silently, Keene and I walked out the theatre. We were stopped by the driving rain. It was pouring so strongly it was like a jackhammer on the pavement.

“Damn it, it’s raining. You stay here, I’ll get the truck.” Keene orders.

“I’m a big girl; I think I can walk myself in the rain.” I say teasingly.

“Sorry.” He chuckles.

We stop in front of the passenger door. He opens it for me, but I couldn’t ignore what had just happened.

“You know what, I’m sorry, but I just don’t get it. You tried to kiss me in there!” I say pointing towards the movie theater.

The rain drenched me, but I ignored it.

“I like you; a lot, okay?! But apparently you couldn’t give less of a damn! And, I don’t care what you think of me, but, I don’t just like you… I love you. I …love… you, and I guess that isn’t a very big deal to you. This may be a lot for you, but I can’t sleep… I can’t eat… I can’t… breathe without you.” It felt as though my chest was cracked open, and he could just reach in. Everything I had ever thought about him was on the floor. I felt naked, like I was exposed to him.

The pounding waves of rain pelted the asphult. I study his face for any emotion; any sort of happiness or pain, but nothing came.

The beads of rain poured down his face.

With a resigned sigh, I gave up.

“You know what, never mind. Can we please just forget it?” I say, angered. I prayed that this wouldn’t affect our friendship. With the passenger’s door wide open, I began to climb in.

Keene shut it before I made it.

“I don’t think I can do that.” He says, his teeth clenched.

“Well, why the hell not?!” I demand.

“Because…” he takes two steps forward, “i’m in love with you. I have been since the moment I saw you.”

“Don’t pity me.” I beg.

“I’m not.”

“Keene, I’m used to being broken, it’ll be fine.”

He shook his head, and moved in towards me. Slowly, he carresed my cheek,and slid his hand to the back of my neck, rubbing it with his thumb. The rain poured over us. I held his face in my hands, playfully running them through his hair. I met his lips, he kissed my top and bottom lips, I did the same to him, our lips moved together, and I forgot what I was and became another person. They rain danced between our lips, making his feel softer, he moved his hands down the small of my back, holding me around my hips. 

I breathed in the moment, taking in all my senses. He smelled amazing. The rain kept pouring, we didn't mind. 

Lifting me off my feet in one move, he picked me up. I wrapped my legs around his waist. He held me close to him. Lingering, I slid my arms down his body. 

He seperated his lips from mine, and gently set me down.

"I've never been kissed like that." He whispered.

"That was... good." I breathed. 

He smiled at me. I returned it.

"I love you." He told me.

"I love you back." I say nervously.

As the rain poured heavier, we headed home.

I'd wished home wasn't so close.