Candour

You woke up in the bed alone. It wasn't surprising. After you and Bucky got back, you'd showered, and slept in separate rooms. Bucky had been staying in this room with Steve, but he bluntly told you to stay in it, and he would take the couch. You hadn't exchanged many other words, but there was some kind of...understanding between you. You knew there was going to have to be a conversation. But not yet. Not today.

You inhaled deeply as you looked around at the room. You didn't take it in much yesterday. It was similar to the last safehouse bedroom, kind of plain, a bed, drawers, a small window, a kind of worn, damp smell.
Nothing too special.

You finally tuned into the thing that woke you up in the first place; the voices.

You heard multiple voices, talking loudly outside of your door. Arguing. You heard your name.

You slowly pulled on some sweatpants and a Tshirt that was on the floor, and made your way over to the door. When you opened it, the room fell silent.

You walked into the lounge to a sea of hesitant eyes watching your every move, but you kept your eyes up confidently until you reached them. You immediately noticed Bucky sitting on the armchair next to Tony, watching you. You knew what they'd been talking about.

"How are you feeling?" Tony said, moving to stand up, but you waved your hand nonchalantly. "We were just..."

"Asking Tony for the truth." Nat said, looking at you with a raised eyebrow.

"And I was telling them that there's nothing else to-"

"We didn't know anything about her until two months ago, now we've been traipsing the globe, risking our lives trying to find where she was kidnapped to." Sam interrupted.

"That is your job, this is wh-"

"I'll tell you." You said, making Tony's mouth snap shut. Making the team look back at you. "It's not right that they're fighting in a battle with no info, Tony."

You rubbed your neck, then folded your arms across your chest. They waited for you to speak.

"A few years after I was born, the place I grew up in came under attack. My mother decided to leave me with Tony, so that she could join the war. Tony was..." You looked to him for help on the next word, and he coughed.

"Unprepared, I was unprepared for a child. Palmed her off to a different employee every day." He added.

"Why did she send you to Tony?" Clint asked.

"Because I'm a famous genius?"

"I'm getting to that." You explained. "So while I was under Tony's care, minus Tony," You glanced at Stark with a slight smirk. "Back when Tony was going through prototypes of his arc reactor, one of them exploded."

"Very early model. Idiot employee couldn't run fast enough." Tony added. "She got caught in the impact."

"Is that not dangerous?" Rhodey frowned. "That seems like it'd be dangerous."

"I was fine. Except for the next few years when I started displaying...powers." You sighed, and licked your bottom lip. "My mum died in the battle so Tony was stuck with me. He was a bit more attentive after that, trying to contain-slash-study what I could do, much to the dismay of his machines..which I kept breaking. As I grew older, we realised there was some similarity to what Thor can control, so every so often, he dropped by to help coach me where he could." You breathed in deeply before saying the next part. "13 years ago I had my first proper outburst. I was dating Nick." Your eyes went to Bucky's, which flashed with anger. "Nick got in touch with Stark, and on the way home, Hydra intercepted us. And so began the hiding."