Conversation

Bucky's other chance came about an hour and a half later. He spotted you slinking along the wall, or attempting to at least. You seemed to stand out to him for some reason.

He slowly headed over, trying not to draw attention to himself, with the idea that he wanted to catch you by yourself, and maybe...maybe he could have a proper conversation with you. Before Tony came around.
Before you got into another argument. Before you sobered up enough to realise you weren't meant to be having an extended conversation with him.

When you reached the doorway, he moved quickly, grabbing your arm and pulling you round the doors, cornering you on the other side.

"You've been sneaking around all evening, doll." He mused, planting a hand on the wall beside your head. You looked up at him and frowned.

"What did I tell you about using that language, you absolute fossil?!" You scoffed, but it just made him smile. Maybe he was amused by the way you spoke rather loudly. Maybe it was the fact that you being drunk and angry was cute to him.

"You don't tend to listen to me, I don't think I'll listen to you all that much." He retorted. You rolled your eyes, and moved to push past him, but he held a hand up, indicating he wanted you to stop. For some reason, you did.

"What did you want?" You huffed, crossing your arms over your chest. You had much better things to be doing with your time than waiting for a hundred-year-old man to speak. "I don't have all night." You added, when he just stared at you.

"Did you have fun tonight?" He finally asked.

"I did until you ambushed me."

"You sound a little drunk." He pointed out, an arrogant smirk on his face.

"Do I care?" You snapped back, making him raise an eyebrow. "I'm allowed to have a drink. It's rather enjoyable when you don't have a tin man interrupting your buzz."

Then he licked his bottom lip, and glanced up at the ceiling.

"Don't you ever get bored of this?" He asked you, his voice lowering, becoming softer, his eyes boring into yours. "I'm just trying to have a conversation with you."

"Well I don't fancy talking to you, so if you don't mind." You said, again moving to walk past him. He grabbed your arm, making you turn back to him. Your feet stumbled over themselves. "What, not used to being told no so you have to manhandle me?"

"That's not..." He said as he let go of your arm and sighed. "I don't get why you hate me so much when we don't even know each other."

"And what, you want to get to know each other?" You raised your eyebrows at him. He gave a one shoulder shrug, then the corner of his mouth started stretching into a half smile. "Not gonna happen. Even if you are stupidly gorgeous."

He tilted his head slightly.

"What was that?" He asked, and you felt your face go a bit warm. You shook your head. Then you felt his finger under your chin, and he was guiding your face up to look at him. "Did you just pay me a compliment?"

"I said stupid." You scoffed, slapping his hand away from you.

"There was another word after that." He grinned as his hand dropped. "Gorgeous."

"Oh I know I am, thank you." You teased, and his eyes flickered with something.

"Yes, you are."

You stared back at him, suddenly feeling a little self-conscious. Then your brain kicked in, and you hit him in the chest, the alcohol suddenly rushing over you.

"Stop being fucking annoying." You growled. "You and your stupid annoying face. I'll punch it so hard your stupid little friend won't even recognise you." You stomped away from him, down the hall.